FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Medieval Mass (video link)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't know if anyone has ever posted a link to this on FE, but these videos are great IMO.  This is a real Mass celebrated by a Dominican priest (good thing too -- otherwise it would be sacrilege).  It was organized by the Swedish Dept. of Education.  Take a look:

http://liturgy.dk/default.asp?Action=Menu&Item=285
(12-16-2009, 01:00 PM)Zakhur Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if anyone has ever posted a link to this on FE...

It has been posted before... but it's nice to see it again.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...896.0.html
Yeah, I posted it once before.

It's not necessarily sacrilege for a non-priest to re-enact the Mass. Otherwise, this would mean that all actors who simulate the Mass in movies are sinning.
Yeah, I guess so.  You'd probably have to know you were simulating a sacrament to do it sacreligiously... dunno.
(12-16-2009, 05:50 PM)Zakhur Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I guess so.  You'd probably have to know you were simulating a sacrament to do it sacreligiously... dunno.

Deacons who are preparing for ordination to the priesthood say "dry" Masses and that isn't sacrilege.  They can even use real bread, wine, and water.  The difference is that they simply withhold the intention to do what the Church does in confecting the sacrament (or they don't say the words of consecration).  It would be sacrilege if one really intended to transubstantiate despite not having the priestly character or faculties.

If you've ever watched one of the SSPX how-to videos for priests, the priest simulates a Mass, but he makes it clear, when he reaches the consecration, that he does not intend to confect the sacrament and that he's just reciting the words without the proper intention.
Well, I was only referring to the simulation of a sacrament as it is (somewhere) understood by the Church to be sinful.  I don't know where.
The priest in the video is really a priest. Therefore, it is really a Mass.
Yup.
But wouldnt it be a Mass that was replaced by the Tridentine Mass and Quo Primum?

Is it permissible for a Priest to say such a Mass?

The rubrics look a bit...odd.
The only explanation I've been able to think of for that is that the local ordinary gave permission to use rubrics obtained from extant medieval missals to say Mass.

You know, it's for the cause of learning and all that!
Pages: 1 2