FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question about greeting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Greetings to all! :)
Hello, I was wondering about something and went to the archives but couldn’t find anything about it and so I thought I’d ask here if you all don’t mind. Okay for several months now, just before Mass begins, the lector goes up and greets everyone and then asks everyone to “turn to each other and greet each other in the spirit of brotherly love” etc… something like that.  And so I was wondering if this is going on in the other parishes around the nation, world, etc…
I don’t want to sound snobby or anything but this totally annoys me.  I live in a small town and pretty much get along with everyone and on any other day I have no trouble striking up conversation and such. I very much enjoy being around people, but this greeting thing totally annoys me as it interrupts my preparing myself for Mass. 
Is this a normal thing in other parishes?  Hmmm perhaps I just need to learn to adjust, perhaps I am being a little selfish…
Well, thanks for reading this….
May God bless you and all your loved ones
:pazzo: :)
LoveJLove
We did that at my old NO parish.  No idea why.  It goes along with an NO Mass; if that Mass is centered on the community rather than Christ, then it makes sense for the community to talk to itself before and after Mass if they're already talking to themselves during Mass.  We're again turned in a circle upon ourselves.
Mass has gotten too chatty (at least in the NO parishes I've been to), what has happened to reverent silence before Mass?  Didn't all the new churches get built with a "gathering space" for this sort of thing?
I have never seen that.
No, you don't need to adjust, you're not being selfish, and you are well within your rights to be annoyed.  That kind of nonsense doesn't belong in the Mass.  It isn't in any liturgical instruction or document that I know of, and it isn't happening on my watch.  Over the years, I've talked to plenty of Catholics who find that kind of thing annoying, so you are far from being alone.

The purpose of the Mass is to offer fitting worship to Almighty God.  Most parishes make available ample opportunities for people to get together socially.  Even if the parish doesn't make such opportunities available, the Mass is neither the time or the place for it.

You have my permission to continue your prayerful preparations for Mass (not that my permission matters). 
Is this still a trad forum or has the reverent novus ordo crowd totally taken over?

(12-17-2009, 08:34 PM)LoveJLove Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings to all! :)

Greetings! Welcome to the forum!

Quote:I don’t want to sound snobby or anything but this totally annoys me. 

Make yourself at home.  :)

May God be with you always...
(12-17-2009, 08:57 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]I have never seen that.
ditto
(12-17-2009, 09:18 PM)BrendanD Wrote: [ -> ]Is this still a trad forum or has the reverent novus ordo crowd totally taken over?
A good question that I've been asking myself recently. Oh well; that's the internet.

Thank you all for your responses and thank you Padre so very much.

And Brennan, and Christopher, thank you too, perhaps you would be kind enough to show me the way to the “reverent novus ordo crowd” forum. 

Enjoy the evening!
:) :)
(12-17-2009, 09:02 PM)Padre_Ricardo Wrote: [ -> ]You have my permission to continue your prayerful preparations for Mass (not that my permission matters). 
:laughing:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5