FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Friday Christmas 2009?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is your diocese/archdiocese granting a dispensation from abstinence for Christmas?

I have to say that fish & chips or some such is not an appealing thought for Christmas dinner.
The Feast supersedes the fast--just remember to abstain on the 24th.
DesperatelySeeking Wrote:Is your diocese/archdiocese granting a dispensation from abstinence for Christmas?

I have to say that fish & chips or some such is not an appealing thought for Christmas dinner.

Obviously a Solemnity trumps a simple fast, especially since the law concerning abstinence in the United States is sufficiently vague as to be nonbinding.
A first class feast always removes the obligation to fast or abstain. Take St.Patricks day for example (in Ireland at least). (Good Break during Lent  ;))
(12-20-2009, 11:37 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Is your diocese/archdiocese granting a dispensation from abstinence for Christmas?

Luckily, vegetarians never have to worry about this, since they abstain all the time ;)

Pax vobiscum,
Jesse
As has been said, you never have to abstain from meat on a feast day, even if it falls on a Friday. And, I gather, if Christmas falls on a Thursday (as it did last year) you can still eat your meaty leftovers on Boxing Day.
(12-20-2009, 11:37 AM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]Is your diocese/archdiocese granting a dispensation from abstinence for Christmas?

DS...Leave the fish in the freezer and ham it up, or turkey...whichever...  :musicnote: "Let's celebrate, it's all right"  :musicnote:

there are at least two Fridays every year when you can eat meat, Friday within the Octave of Christmas and Friday within the Octave of Easter.  all eight days of each are solemnities, including the Friday.  This year, Christmas's Octave gets two Fridays.

Actually, come to think of it, Friday within the Octave of Pentecost would be another according to the old calendar, wouldn't it? dunno how that works in the context of 'extraordinary' vs 'ordinary' observances and what not... since the extraordinary form is canonically just for liturgy and not for extra liturgical practices and observances... perhaps it'd be recommendable to, on that Friday, eat meat in honor of the 'extraordinary' solemnity but, to fulfill the current law, do some other act of piety in place of abstaining from meat.
(12-20-2009, 03:56 PM)Aloysius Wrote: [ -> ]there are at least two Fridays every year when you can eat meat, Friday within the Octave of Christmas and Friday within the Octave of Easter.  all eight days of each are solemnities, including the Friday. 

My dad always said that, but I've never found anything to back it up in "the rules".
the 1917 code should be the same on this, but this is the 1983 code:

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat... is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. [superfluous ambiguity-creating phrase removed]

grab your nearest missal and look at the Octaves of Christmas, Easter, and Pentecost and it should state that every day of each of these octaves is considered a solemnity.
Pages: 1 2