FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Elephants in Orissa Attack Exactly One Year After Persecutions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Check this out:
http://www.archdioceseofcolombo.com/news.php?id=851

While I do not gloat at the sufferings of the persecutors, they had it coming regardless.
Chesterton wrote a short story called the Oracle of the Dog, or something like that, which is pertinent to this event.  I would be careful in attributing conscious intent to brutes and would be even more wary of attributing some action of God to them.  I'm surprised that an Archdiocesan website would promote such superstition. 
(12-20-2009, 04:46 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Chesterton wrote a short story called the Oracle of the Dog, or something like that, which is pertinent to this event.  I would be careful in attributing conscious intent to brutes and would be even more wary of attributing some action of God to them.  I'm surprised that an Archdiocesan website would promote such superstition. 

In what way do you think the archdiocesan website was promoting superstition?  The article reports facts about events that have occurred, events that can hardly be ignored.  If the local people are reporting accurately, the elephants are not bothering Christian homes, are specifically targeting the homes and farms of those who persecuted Christians, and the villagers have begun calling them "the Christian elephants" and saying they act as if they're on a mission.  The archdiocese hasn't declared that the elephants are Christian or that they're on a mission.

As for elephants having conscious intent, I've read a good bit about elephants and when they break free, they often find and kill their trainers, ignoring other people.  Trainers often if not always use brutality in training the elephants and "elephants never forget."

In this case, small elephants go into the villages and look around prior to the attacks by the larger elephants.  It seems that the small elephants are scouts and communicate with the large elephants.  That's interesting behavior and suggests conscious intent.

It's a fascinating story.  Why are elephants from a wildlife preserve traveling 300 km to attack homes and farms of Hindus who a year ago killed 500 Christians, burned an orphanage, destroyed churches, etc.?

I'm not going to say God inspired this but I hope it puts the fear of God into those who have persecuted and killed Christians so that they don't do it again in the future.  I also hope the elephants go home soon and let the people rebuild.

The ministry partner in India stated “We think that it might have something to do with the avenging the blood of martyrs.  In fact the fear of God has fallen on the local people, who have labeled these elephants “Christian elephants.”

Superstitious nonsense.  They're brutes acting like brutes, nothing more.

G.K. Chesterton Wrote:"The dog could almost have told you the story, if he could talk," said the priest. "All I complain of is that because he couldn't talk, you made up his story for him, and made him talk with the tongues of men and angels. It's part of something I've noticed more and more in the modern world, appearing in all sorts of newspaper rumors and conversational catch-words; something that's arbitrary without being authoritative. People readily swallow the untested claims of this, that, or the other. It's drowning all your old rationalism and scepticism, it's coming in like a sea; and the name of it is superstition." He stood up abruptly, his face heavy with a sort of frown, and went on talking almost as if he were alone. "It's the first effect of not believing in God that you lose your common sense, and can't see things as they are. Anything that anybody talks about, and says there's a good deal in it, extends itself indefinitely like a, vista in a nightmare. And a dog is an omen and a cat is a mystery and a pig is a mascot and a beetle is a scarab, calling up all the menagerie of polytheism from Egypt and old India; Dog Anubis and great green-eyed Pasht and all the holy howling Bulls of Bashan; reeling back to the bestial gods of the beginning, escaping into elephants and snakes and crocodiles; and all because you are frightened of four words: 'He was made Man."'
This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever read.
(12-20-2009, 05:36 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]The ministry partner in India stated “We think that it might have something to do with the avenging the blood of martyrs.  In fact the fear of God has fallen on the local people, who have labeled these elephants “Christian elephants.”

but who is "the ministry partner"?  he could be someone from a government ministry, not someone with ecclesiastical ties. 

if he's a Catholic priest, why isn't he named, or at least referred to as a priest?  "ministry partner" is a vague term, sounds either governmental or protestant.
(12-20-2009, 05:47 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever read.

There's nothing cool about anthropomorphizing brutes, Walty.  Nothing at all.
(12-20-2009, 05:53 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2009, 05:36 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]The ministry partner in India stated “We think that it might have something to do with the avenging the blood of martyrs.  In fact the fear of God has fallen on the local people, who have labeled these elephants “Christian elephants.”

but who is "the ministry partner"?  he could be someone from a government ministry, not someone with ecclesiastical ties. 

if he's a Catholic priest, why isn't he named, or at least referred to as a priest?  "ministry partner" is a vague term, sounds either governmental or protestant.

It's irrelevant who said it.  What matters is that it was quoted on the Archdiocesan website, lending it credibility.
(12-20-2009, 06:04 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2009, 05:53 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]

It's irrelevant who said it.  What matters is that it was quoted on the Archdiocesan website, lending it credibility.

write an e-mail to Fr. De Silva, his address is at the bottom of the page, and argue with him about it. 

Elephants are so much more impressive than locusts or frogs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7