FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Priest actually practicing *simony*?! In this day and age??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Trafficking in Masses is still a problem.  A priest will take money to offer Masses, and he'll collect more stipends than he can possibly offer Masses for.

Obviously, all of this is prohibited by the Church, and is gravely sinful.

Edit: remove a mistaken comment about Simony

anyone else notice the google ad on p. 2 of the article for 'free sex offender list'? 

google's adbots apparently search for 'priest' and tie in 'sex offender.'    Fish-Eater Smackdown
I'm not really surprised.

I've noticed that Mexicans tend to be devout, but poorly catechized. Google "Santa Muerte" and see what I mean. And they do like the fast-track Sacraments, just like the woman quoted in the article. I've been told by reliable sources that La Placita (The old church on Olvera St in Los Angeles) is a Baptism factory. Most parishes require godparents and parents to attend a class, just a couple hours long, detailing their responsibilities. Not La Placita. You don't even need to schedule the Baptism - just show up. I've been at Union Station and seen dozens of families all dressed up heading that way. It's not often you see a baby in a tux!

I wonder where the records of all these simonious (is that a word?) Sacraments get sent? It could end up a real headache later when these kids need proof for marriage and such.
(12-21-2009, 04:21 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-...5798.story

Reading the article the main problem is to operation without jurisdiction from the local Bishop, thus breaking the hierarchical rule of the Church, establishing his own Church.

The Church does not takes stipend for the sacraments, only for special ceremony of the marriages (I married in the presence of two witnesses without anything else, and the priest said that in this form if would be forbidden to take stipend), or for the special intention of the Mass (no such accusation in the article).

Confirmation could be administered licitly only through the explicit license from the local ordinary. Baptis, first communion could be administered only having license from the local pastor of the person who receives the sacrament. Confession could be heard, or mass could be celebrated  licitly only by a priest acknowledged by the local ordinary.

The problem is not the 'simony' but the establishing of his own church extra Ecclesiam (= hierarchy)
True, glgas, there are three problems here: the sale of the Sacraments, the fact that many of those Sacraments are probably invalid, and the fact that he is acting as if he is his own Church including using Old Catholic priests.

What a mess.
(12-21-2009, 10:14 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really surprised.

I've noticed that Mexicans tend to be devout, but poorly catechized. Google "Santa Muerte" and see what I mean. And they do like the fast-track Sacraments, just like the woman quoted in the article. I've been told by reliable sources that La Placita (The old church on Olvera St in Los Angeles) is a Baptism factory. Most parishes require godparents and parents to attend a class, just a couple hours long, detailing their responsibilities. Not La Placita. You don't even need to schedule the Baptism - just show up. I've been at Union Station and seen dozens of families all dressed up heading that way. It's not often you see a baby in a tux!

I wonder where the records of all these simonious (is that a word?) Sacraments get sent? It could end up a real headache later when these kids need proof for marriage and such.
The word would be "simoniacal."
(on page two) "What I learned about this is its not about faith its about business" sounds like the conciliar Church to me.
(12-21-2009, 09:22 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]anyone else notice the google ad on p. 2 of the article for 'free sex offender list'?   

google's adbots apparently search for 'priest' and tie in 'sex offender.'    Fish-Eater Smackdown

Seems fairly appropriate.
(12-21-2009, 10:14 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder where the records of all these simonious (is that a word?) Sacraments get sent? It could end up a real headache later when these kids need proof for marriage and such.

You're not kidding!
Pages: 1 2