FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Taking pictures in a church - Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,
Do you have any etiquette recommendations on taking pictures inside a church? 

I know it's not a tourist destination, but churches are often pretty inside, and I'd like to share that with the world.  :-D

When visiting a European church, I typically felt less worried, primarily because a)  I was a tourist who could kinda-sorta get by in their language (or just BS my way through it, worst case, lol), or b)  It was a Novus Ordo church and they take things less seriously.

So, in general, do you all have advice for taking pictures in traditionalist-run churches (ICKSP, FSSP, SSPX, etc), or just churches in general (Catholic, of course, I don't consciously enter ecclesial community houses of heresy).

Thanks!
I have taken many pictures in many churches.  I have never had a problem, even taking pictures during Mass.

Just don't use a flash.  Set your shutter speed carefully and keep a very steady hand.  No one has ever given me guff.
No flash during Mass. And stay in one place.

After Mass, go wild. Take as many as you want. Use the flash, unless it's some European cathedral with ancient tapestries. And you can be sure they'll tell you no flash if they don't want flash.

I have a mini-tripod I bought in a camping store. When folded in, it makes a nice monopod that can be braced against the back of the pew in front, which allows nice clear pictures even in low light without flash. 
Respect anyone who's praying, and remember to make the proper reverences to the Blessed Sacrament.  However, you can take all the pictures you like (although no flash during Mass as the others said).
Really?  Awesome!  I thought I had read that I shouldn't take pictures during Mass without prior approval... but hrm.  Okeedoke! 

Basically, it all comes down to consideration of others, I guess, and preservation of old stuff.  Excellent!  Around Easter time I guess I'll start up my project of photographing churches in my hometown!  :-D  Yay!

Thanks much! 
I'd take pictures during Mass, but not during the Canon, without good reason.
I would suggest that you ask the priest before taking pictures before Mass, even if you are not using a flash.  It would be the courteous thing to do.  I know that I'd want someone to ask before taking my picture.
(12-23-2009, 12:48 AM)Padre_Ricardo Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest that you ask the priest before taking pictures before Mass, even if you are not using a flash.  It would be the courteous thing to do.  I know that I'd want someone to ask before taking my picture.

Yeah, that seems relatively decent to do.  I probably won't be taking any pictures of Masses (yet, at least).

There were pictures during my wedding (not NO Mass), there were zero problems with that.

Just respect the sacrament, and proper posture at certain times, etc. -- shouldn't be a problem.
For weddings, First Holy Communions, Confirmations, and the like, photography is expected and allowances are made - as long as proper respect is shown for the sacraments.

However, outside of such occasions, anyone who wants to take pictures during Mass should ask the priest first.
Pages: 1 2