FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: History of Church Doctrine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is a good faithful Catholic book/s on the history of Church doctrine?  One that explicitly traces the development of the major doctrines.  Obviously there is Denzinger, and there are other more systematic works; but I'm thinking of a written history of the development of doctrine, like a history of what Denzinger contains, for example; although I would want it to include the last several decades as well.  If such a volume would be too big to write, what are some books that deal with the topic less comprehensively?  Relatedly, what might be the best methods of learning about the topic?  Simply reading official Church documents?  Thanks.
As for the methodology read Eusebius Church History http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2501.htm as the analysis how the New Testament Canon was developed.

As for later history, you had to read all available books, check the statements against the Denzinger, and make your own synthesis. My one is, that with the exception of a very few set of infallible dogmas tempora mutantur and we mutamur in illis: the sameds has different meaning in different times.

(12-22-2009, 05:02 AM)JonW Wrote: [ -> ]What is a good faithful Catholic book/s on the history of Church doctrine?  One that explicitly traces the development of the major doctrines.  Obviously there is Denzinger, and there are other more systematic works; but I'm thinking of a written history of the development of doctrine, like a history of what Denzinger contains, for example; although I would want it to include the last several decades as well.  If such a volume would be too big to write, what are some books that deal with the topic less comprehensively?  Relatedly, what might be the best methods of learning about the topic?  Simply reading official Church documents?  Thanks.