FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Heroic act of charity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone on fisheaters been selfless enough to do this?

http://www.fisheaters.com/prayingforthedead.html#heroic

Wow.
(12-22-2009, 07:18 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone on fisheaters been selfless enough to do this?

Wow.

No, but I've consecrated myself to the Blessed Mother, as is described in St. Louis De Monfort's True Devotion to Mary. So any good that I do is hers to claim for whatever she wants. I may pray for this or that intention, but in the end, I want her to decide how to present my prayers to God.

It's a smart thing to offer prayers and good works to the souls in purgatory because when they get to heaven they do remember us and pray for us.
Dose anyone have any other information regarding this, other than the paragraph there?
(12-22-2009, 11:03 AM)RalphKramden Wrote: [ -> ]Dose anyone have any other information regarding this, other than the paragraph there?

The HEROIC ACT OF CHARITY

The Heroic Act of Charity in Favor of the Poor Souls in Purgatory

Ziggamafu Wrote:I'm neither heroic nor gutsy enough to make the heroic act...I think I'll need all the indulgences I can muster when I'm in Purgatory. If you make the heroic act, doesn't it pretty much guarantee that you'll be in Purgatory for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time? Unless you've never committed a venial sin, that is.

To allay your fears, here's what the Heroic Act of Charity is all about:

The Heroic Act of Charity
in Favor of the Poor Souls in Purgatory

The Heroic Act of Charity is the most beautiful and most effective manifestation of devotion to the Poor Souls, as well as of love of God and neighbor in general. For those of our associates who did not make it as yet, we give the following explanation.

I. Purpose and meaning of the Heroic Act of Charity.

The heroic act of charity in behalf of the souls in Purgatory consists of a voluntary offering, made by one of the faithful in their favor, of all works of satisfaction done in this life, as well as of all suffrages which shall be offered after death. By this act he deposits all these works and suffrages in the hands of the Blessed Virgin, that she may distribute them in behalf of those holy souls whom it is her good pleasure to deliver from the pains of Purgatory, and at the same time he declares that by this personal offering he forgoes in their behalf only the special and personal benefit of
those works of satisfaction, so that, if he be a priest, he is not hindered from applying the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass according to the intention of those who give him alms for that purpose.

Every meritorious act performed in the state of sanctifying grace and with a good intention, gains for us the following spiritual privileges:

1. An increase in sanctifying grace and heavenly glory.
2. Many graces of body and soul for ourselves and for others.
3. Remission of temporal punishment for our sins. Only this third fruit, the satisfactory or expiatory part of the works that we accomplish is conceded or applied to the souls in Purgatory, whereas the fruit of merit and impetration (of prayer), remains ours. The heroic act therefore does not prevent us from praying for ourselves or for others, nor to let others share in our good works.

Remarks
a. In making the heroic act and desiring to gain the indulgences attached to it, one foregoes in truth and in fact, without reservation of any kind, and without exception, the special and personal benefits of all works of satisfaction and suffrage, and deposits them as a voluntary offering to God in the hands of the Blessed Virgin.

b.This act of charity is not avow and does not bind under sin. It may be revoked at any time. It stands to reason however that, doing so one can no longer gain the
indulgences attached to the heroic act.

Indulgences
1. The priests who have made this offering may enjoy the benefits of the privileged altar personally every day of the year.

2. All the faithful who have made this act may gain:

a. A plenary indulgence applicable only to the departed, every day that they receive
Holy Communion, provided they visit a church or public oratory and pray for the
intention of the Sovereign Pontiff.

b. A plenary indulgence every Monday, if they hear Mass in suffrage for the souls in
Purgatory and fulfill the usual conditions. The sick, old people, those living in the country, travelers, prisoners, etc., who cannot hear Mass on Monday may offer to this end that of the Sunday.

c. All indulgences granted, or to be granted and gained by the faithful who have made this offering, are applicable to the holy souls in Purgatory, even when this faculty is not so expressed in the formula or decree of the concession of such indulgences.
S.P. Ap., Jan. 26, 1932.

Motives for Making The Heroic Act

I. You gain many indulgences.
2. Innumerable souls are quickly released from Purgatory; heaven is filled with new saints, who will glorify and praise God for all eternity, also in your behalf.
3. You will gain the special love of the Holy Trinity, of Our Savior, and of all the saints, and you have the promise of Out Lord applied to you: "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy." (Math. 5, 7).
4. After you have made the heroic act, the Poor Souls will become your debtors; in heaven they will labor that you may not be lost, that you shall not suffer Purgatory at all, or at least be released from it soon.
5. The Blessed Virgin receives an increase of signal veneration, since she will be proclaimed, loved and invoked as the most loving Queen of the Poor Souls and sweet dispenser of our merits to them. There can be no doubt that she will have a special affection for those who love and honor her in this way, both while they are in this world and after they have passed into eternity.

Unnecessary apprehension in Regards to the Heroic Act

Do not be afraid that you will suffer any loss by this act of charity. Neither need you fear that you yourself will be in danger of having to endure a long and painful Purgatory. On the contrary, you can only gain by it, since you will enjoy the special love of the Most Holy Trinity, of Out Savior, the Blessed Virgin, and of all the saints. Who shall fare better in the end: he who relies solely on the justice of God, or he who heroically offers his merits to the Poor Souls and trusts entirely in God's infinite mercy and generosity? The latter without doubt. In making the heroic act of charity, therefore, you have nothing to fear for yourself; you can only gain by it. Nor need you fear that the souls of your relatives, friends and benefactors will be slighted in the least. The Blessed Virgin does not distribute arbitrarily the good works offered
for the Poor Souls, but according to that measure of charity and justice which God Himself employs in the distribution of His graces. She will therefore favor with your merits preferably those souls towards whom you have special obligations.

Many persons; distinguished by their position, learning and holiness, have made this
heroic act in favor of the Poor Souls and will not regret it in eternity. Follow their example, and likewise offer the atoning merits of your good works for the comfort and deliverance of the Poor Souls.

No special formula for making the heroic act is prescribed. For your convenience however, we herewith give the formula taken from the works of St. Alphonsus de Liguori. Its briefness lends itself to a frequent and profitable renewal of this act.

"Oh my God, in union with the merits of Jesus and Mary, I offer Thee for the souls in
Purgatory, all my satisfactory works, as well as those which may be applied to me by others during my life, and after my death. And, so as to be more agreeable to the divine Heart of Jesus and more helpful to the departed, I place them all in the hands of the merciful Virgin Mary."

INVOCATIONS FOR THE POOR SOULS

We beseech Thee, O Lord, help the souls detained in the fire of Purgatory, whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy precious Blood. Dear Lord Jesus, grant them (or him) eternal rest.

http://www.alcazar.net/Purgatory.html
(12-22-2009, 07:18 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone on fisheaters been selfless enough to do this?

Wow.

I have done it, and repeat it from time to time.

To be clear:  The hope is that God will give leniency to you and the souls will intercede for you, but in reality you are actually offering up all your indulgences, etc., and are saying you are willing to do the full time in Purgatory if it will help others.

From the CE:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07292b.htm

Quote:Its heroicity arises from the willingness it involves to take upon one's self the dreadful pains of purgatory for the love of one's neighbour, although there remains the reasonable hope that God in His goodness, and the sainted souls in their gratitude, will not allow the punishment to be exacted to the full.
(12-22-2009, 10:28 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]I have done it, and repeat it from time to time.

To be clear:  The hope is that God will give leniency to you and the souls will intercede for you, but in reality you are actually offering up all your indulgences, etc., and are saying you are willing to do the full time in Purgatory if it will help others.
I've been thinking about doing this for some time. I'm torn by two stumbling blocks: 1). I'm a TOTAL coward and fear that I won't be able to handle all the purgatory I've got coming, the way I figure it it'll be 5-10 thousand years, if I become a saint tomorrow. 2). I don't on the other hand want to do it from selfish motives like "I'll do this and God will have to give me a break cause I was such a good boy" or "If I do this those souls will own me BIG".
I think I need to reconsider doing this. I think perhaps my reservations are the trick of a demon who would love to prevent the relief of the poor souls.
Well, what's funny is I didn't even know there was a name for it when I first did it.  I just resolved to give anything of value to the BVM to do with as she pleased, including any indulgences, etc.  Only later did I find out there was a name for it.

Anyhow, assuming we make it to purgatory and don't end up in hell, we will be able to handle the purgatory - we can't die again, for example.  It will just suck really bad.  But there will be an end to it, and we add to God's Glory, and also to the Crown of the BVM.  So, that alone makes it worth it even if what we add is infinitesimally small.

I understand about wanting the right motivation.  In my self-styled offering, I offered everything.  Even if it pleased Him that I made this small sacrifice, and He gave me anything for that, I offered it to the BVM.  So, I have my own addendum to it that I want nothing in return but Him and all else should go to the BVM.

I have nothing of any value to offer God, so I offer myself and my suffering out of love for Him.  If He wants me to suffer, I will suffer.  I don't matter - He does.  I trust in Him and anything He may want from me, no matter what it costs me, is OK by me.  Sometimes (usually?)  I fail to give Him what He asks because of my own weakness and sinfulness, but my desire is always there.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and all that.

We should have a fear of the pains of Purgatory, but we shouldn't fear Our Father needlessly.  We have to trust in Him.  If we have to be in Purgatory, it is the right thing, and we deserve it, so we should resign ourselves to His Will, accept it, and offer Him thanks for our suffering.  By doing our full time in Purgatory, it is a way of showing love for Him and thanking Him for administering the Justice to us that we deserve, and as a thanks, we offer Mercy to others through the hands of the BVM.  We show our love for God through love of our neighbor, and we participate in the Justice and Mercy that is Him.

If you want to do this but are afraid, it may help to first cultivate a trust in Him and resign yourself temporally to His Will even if that means things are going to be bad for you.  If you can put yourself in the mindset of being His plaything, suffering out of love for Him doesn't seem so scary because then we belong to Him having surrendered to Him.

Here are some quotes from St. Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church:

Quote:Sometime before this took place I had offered myself to the Child Jesus to be His little plaything. I told Him not to treat me like one of those precious toys which children only look at and  are not touch, but to treat me like a little ball of no value, that could be thrown on the ground, kicked about, pierced, left in a corner, or pressed to His Heart just as it might please Him. In a word I wished to amuse the Holy Child and to let Him play with me as He fancied. Here indeed He was answering my prayer. In Rome Jesus pierced His little plaything. He wanted to see what was inside . . . and when satisfied, He let it drop and went to sleep. What was He doing during His sweet slumber, and what became of the ball thus cast on one side ? He dreamed that He was still at play, that He took it up or threw it down, that He rolled it far away, but at last He pressed it to His Heart, nor did He allow it again to slip from His tiny Hand.

I thirst after Heaven, that blessed abode where our love for Jesus will be without bounds. True, we must pass through suffering and tears to reach that home, but I wish to suffer all that my Beloved is pleased to send me; I wish to let Him do as He wills with His "little ball."

Dryness and drowsiness--such is the state of my soul in its intercourse with Jesus! But since my Beloved wishes to sleep I shall not prevent Him. I am only too happy that He does not  treat me as a stranger, but rather in a homely way. He riddles his "little ball" with pin-pricks that hurt indeed, though when they come from the Hand of this loving Friend, the pain is all
sweetness, so gentle in His touch. How different the hand of man!  Yet I am happy, most happy to suffer! If Jesus Himself does not pierce me, He guides the hand which does. Mother! If you knew how utterly indifferent to earthly things I desire to be, and of how little concern to me are all the beauties of creation. I should be wretched were I to possess them. My heart seems so vast when I think of the goods of earth--all of them together unable to fill it. But by the side of Jesus how small does it appear! He is full good to me--this God who soon will be my Spouse. He is divinely lovable for not permitting me to be the captive of any passing joy. He knows well that if He sent me but a shadow of earthly happiness I should cling to it with all the intense ardour of my heart, and He refuses even this shadow . . . He prefers to leave me in darkness, rather than afford me a false glimmer which would not be Himself.

Be a ball.

Thanks so much Quis! Your down to earth word have been a great help.
(12-22-2009, 11:19 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Be a ball.
Will do...bounce...bounce.