FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Youth Groups, Mass and Music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just looked up the facebook page for the local youth group at my parish (which I don't go to, even for the N.O). I have no plans of joining I just wanted to suss it out. This is the notification from the group leader on the latest Youth Mass they had:

Music, I believe, is an important part of our worship celebration and liturgy. It helps lead us into a mood for prayer and sets the tone for how we are open to God's Holy Spirit.

I've just spent the afternoon at the music ministry's practice for the Youth Mass on 13 September. AWESOME!!! is all I can say. This is the mu...sic list:

Prior to Mass and Entrance:

1. Not Afraid of the Gospel (Hillsong)
2. Power of Your Love (Hillsong)
3. At The Cross (Hillsong)

Music for the Mass is by Marty Haugen a bit "rocked up"

Reflection:
Here We Are (Don Moen)

Recessional
I'm not ashamed of the Gospel (Hillsong)

Look up the music on YouTube

God bless and keep praying!

Nicky CP

After cleaning up my vomit I ran a google search on the regulations for liturgical music but couldn't find much.  I was wondering if anyone knows the liturgical regulations for music are in the N.O? I'm aware that Vatican II's constitution on the liturgy says "gregorian chant has pride of place" but are there any rules prohibiting certain types of music? Surely rock songs created by protestants aren't appropriate even in the Novus Ordo...
Honestly, you're not going to find anything, because what is there is so vague that you could justify practically anything with it.  And even if you found something concrete, it would be ignored.

I sympathize, and I pray always for good music for the worship of God Pray

Hello, and Merry Christmas

While I am hardly qualified to offer any real help on this matter, I did find some information on liturgical regulation if you will from Pius XII's Musicae Sacrae form 1955 which states that :

(59) Besides the organ, other instruments can be called upon to give great help in attaining the lofty purpose of sacred music, so long as they play nothing profane nothing clamorous or strident and nothing at variance with the sacred services or the dignity of the place. Among these the violin and other musical instruments that use the bow are outstanding because, when they are played by themselves or with other stringed instruments or with the organ, they express the joyous and sad sentiments of the soul with an indescribable power. Moreover, in the encyclical Mediator Dei, We Ourselves gave detailed and clear regulations concerning the musical modes that are to be admitted into the worship of the Catholic religion.

I don't think that is exactly what you might be looking for, but I did find this, written by Benedict XVI on 'Sacred Music'.  I hope it helps,

http://www.adoremus.org/0408SacredMusic.html
I think that if you pass along the rules and regulations to the Youth Minister you will be engaging in a battle you just can't win.
The NO has a progressive dynamic that allows for all kinds of music and ritual changes under the guise of adaptation, inculturalization and legitimate options etc.
You will get nowhere fast and just waste your time.
The best strategy is simply bailout of the NO all together and support the TLM where you can find it.
The NO is a sinking (dare I say "stinking") ship and you just can't repair it.
And frankly, no one in the Vatican seems to really care about seriously repairing it either.
I think what we are witnessing is that those that are traditionally minded are opting for the TLM and those that support the NO have already gone too far overboard to be reigned in by some regulation from Rome.
What needs to happen is simply attrition..... New priests ordained in traditional orders, from traditional families saying the TLM. The NO will more or less die out eventually from a lack of vocations.
I know there's a guide book for church musicians. I think it's called Graduale Romanum, but I may be wrong. In any case, it gives the themes for the Mass and music suggestions. Obviously, some joyful He is Risen song is not appropriate during Lent, as an example. You might notice in the songbooks at a NO parish that the songs are grouped together and have some italic somewhere that says Praise, Gathering, or some other indicator.

I did some hunting for it. Couldn't find what I wanted. But I did find this.    http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/SingToTheLord.pdf

Too long for me to read, so I don't know if it will help or not.

In reality, you'll find what you need and know you're right, but nothing will change at that parish. There's a certain mindset that thinks we have to dumb-down the Mass and pander to the teens. And they usually end up as Life Teen Coordinator.  Rolling eyes
(12-24-2009, 01:02 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: [ -> ]I know there's a guide book for church musicians. I think it's called Graduale Romanum, but I may be wrong. In any case, it gives the themes for the Mass and music suggestions. Obviously, some joyful He is Risen song is not appropriate during Lent, as an example. You might notice in the songbooks at a NO parish that the songs are grouped together and have some italic somewhere that says Praise, Gathering, or some other indicator.

I did some hunting for it. Couldn't find what I wanted. But I did find this.    http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/SingToTheLord.pdf

Too long for me to read, so I don't know if it will help or not.

In reality, you'll find what you need and know you're right, but nothing will change at that parish. There's a certain mindset that thinks we have to dumb-down the Mass and pander to the teens. And they usually end up as Life Teen Coordinator.  Rolling eyes
Ha, I'm 19 and can definitely say that if my formation was left up to life teen I would definitely not be a Catholic.

Thanks guys. I have no intention of "taking on" my local parish, this is really just for my own interest.
(12-24-2009, 01:02 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]The NO has a progressive dynamic that allows for all kinds of music and ritual changes under the guise of adaptation, inculturalization and legitimate options etc.eeds to happen is simply attrition..... New priests ordained in traditional orders, from traditional families saying the TLM. The NO will more or less die out eventually from a lack of vocations.

Yes, exactly. I know that many on this forum will brand me as a "neo-con" for saying this but I honestly do think that the Novus Ordo can be acceptable if  some of the "legitimate options" you mention are used. Things like the confiteor in the penitential rite, the Roman Canon as the Eucharistic prayer, gregorian chant, altar boys etc. But then I guess you have all the other "legitimate options" like Eucharistic prayer II which doesn't convey the sacrificial nature of the Mass, secular music, Lay ministers etc. that make the Mass centered on Man rather than on God.

It would be good if the N.O died out but there do seem to be a lot of N.O religious orders and seminaries on the more conservative side that are attracting vocations. The Archdiocese of Sydney under Cardinal Pell, who many of you may have heard of, has 60 candidates for the priesthood which is just amazing in such a secular city with so few TLM's. The seminarians wear cassocks, learn Gregorian chant and have a pretty solid theological formation from what I've seen (I know two of the seminarians).
Yes, I suppose the conservative NO's will survive, but I don't think they will resist an eventual re-embracing of the TLM, so in time I believe that if the Vatican restores tradition - with a captial "T" - the conservatives will follow.
The thing I have noticed is that back in the day when I went to a novus disorder Church that had a lifeteen praise style Mass it was always old burnt out hippies in their 50-60's that were rockin out to this schlock most of the teens were just giggling at how dumb it was or making out.
(12-24-2009, 02:45 AM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]The thing I have noticed is that back in the day when I went to a novus disorder Church that had a lifeteen praise style Mass it was always old burnt out hippies in their 50-60's that were rockin out to this schlock most of the teens were just giggling at how dumb it was or making out.

I remember those...ugh. I wish I could forget...

What the OP describes is any Lifeteen Mass I had the severe misfortune to have to attend...I hate Lifeteen because it breeds Protestants....