FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope attacked at Midnight Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(12-24-2009, 07:26 PM)Bellringer Wrote:Thank for the Lord that His Holiness was unharmed, and make sure to pray for the Cardinal who was knocked down.
Why do people have so much hate?
:(

This is the second year in a row this has happened, or so I've heard. I've no idea if it was the same person on both years, but either way, it's the slammer for this woman.
Lock the bird up!  >:(  I am glad the Holy Father was not harmed!
Prayers for the Holy Father.  :pray: :pray: :pray:
Well look, I hate to spread rumors, but I watched the video of the person lying in wait for the Holy Father and I believe the whispers that this was a transgendered male who did this attack.

Also, according to a Reuters report, Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi has confirmed that French Cardinal Roger Etchegaray suffered a broken femur.

These are very old men and such attacks can kill them. I just hope the Holy Father is OK. I realize he is not popular with everyone here at FE, but me, I love him. He factored decisively in my conversion.
(12-24-2009, 09:13 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]Why couldn't the Pope just have got up a little later and given the Christmas greeting then? Or got up, gave the greeting, and then take a nap? It is only once a year.

rocky, as you get older you will find that changing your sleep schedule really messes up your biological clock and it takes far longer for your clock to reset than it did when you were younger, and any health problems you have are aggravated by this. 

for all we know, His Holiness is suffering some health problems that have not been disclosed to the public and his doctors advised this course of action.  we know he's had a stroke or two and he also fell once and was knocked unconscious, IIRC, soon after he became pope.

we should all pray for his health, especially since he was knocked down on the marble floor of St. Peter's tonight and falls are very hard on older people.  even though he was able to proceed with the Mass and appeared to be fine (I saw it live on EWTN), he will likely be suffering the effects of the fall for quite some time. 

i'd like to see this pontiff live as long as possible.  he may not be perfect but he has been the most traditional pope since Pius XII, imo, and i grew up during the papacy of Pius XII.

and, as credo has pointed out while i was typing this, the day begins at sunset so it IS Christmas now.

Pray for Pope Benedict and Cardinal Etchegary.    :pray: :pray2: :pray: :pray2: :pray: :pray2:

My feeling is it's only going to get worse, as far as attacks on the Holy Father, bishops, priests and lay people.  In my lifetime, I may even witness the day where the Holy Father is not able to celebrate Mass (in either "form") in St. Peter's, due to the extreme physical danger to his person.

And when the persecution starts in earnest, we won't be worried about picking nits about starting times and what not.  Just sayin.
I just found out about this, but i really doubt it was a mentally ill person. Likely it was someone from the far left or other group with an axe to grind against the Pope.

Let's pray that Pope Benedict takes this to heart and realizes what the world is really like. People in top positions are often insulated from the reality on the ground. That is why so many of us have a hard time understanding some of their actions and comments, because we see that they don't make sense given our current reality, but this is often simply because those in power are insulated from the world surrounded by "yes" men and so they have no clue what is going on.

For example, so many of the fuzzy feel good comments of JP2 were so completely off the mark, considering people who are simply trying to live the Catholic faith in opposition to the world and to defend it against attack from the protestants and others, that all i can think is that he was out of it, and no longer knew what the world was like for regular people.

Let's hope that some good can come of this attack on the Holy Father and he might get an idea on how hostile the world is to the Church and begin to build up the concept of the Church militant and return a fighting combative spirit to the faithful.
Time to bring back the sedia!  ;)
(12-25-2009, 12:42 AM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]My feeling is it's only going to get worse, as far as attacks on the Holy Father, bishops, priests and lay people.  In my lifetime, I may even witness the day where the Holy Father is not able to celebrate Mass (in either "form") in St. Peter's, due to the extreme physical danger to his person.

And when the persecution starts in earnest, we won't be worried about picking nits about starting times and what not.  Just sayin.

I concur  :w2go:

While we're talking about it though, I 've never asked why the NO allows a Saturday evening mass.  Is that a post V2 thing?  Is there (or has there ever been) an equivalent in the TLM?

And femur fracture?  OUCH!!!  That's the biggest bone in the body and a quite painful condition, I'm told.  Most likely will require surgery and/or traction.  Prayers for the Cardinal, indeed.  :pray:  and, of course, for the Holy Father and his attacker  :pray: :pray:
It also has something to do with the cult of personality that JP2 developed around the Pope.  If the Pope wasn't such a media star then these sorts of incidents would happen less.  The nutters would focus on someone more "famous".

But admittedly B16 isn't to blame for that as he is relatively low-key with his approach to the media.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10