FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope attacked at Midnight Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(12-24-2009, 09:59 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2009, 07:47 PM)magdalene04 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it is good that he was not hurt.  I read in the NYTimes that the Mass was @ 10pm and not midnight, in order to make things easier for the Pope.  Regrettable.  Christmas Mass it was not.  Christmas Mass, the first Mass, begins on Christmas Day @ 12am, not Christmas Eve. 

This is wrong.  Christmas, liturgically speaking, begins at sundown December 24.

No, Christmas liturgically begins at first vespers on December 24th, which may be said as early as 4 p.m.
The Swiss Guard has always done a great job, and this is no exception.  Deo gratias for them, and for God's protection of the Holy Father!

Prayers for the cardinal.  And prayers for the nutjob that attacked them.  :pray:

Actually it was Vatican security guards who grabbed her, this year and last.  Yes, it was the same woman, wearing red again!  I just started a thread with links to videos of both attacks.

The Swiss Guards bring up the rear of processions while a line of security guards walk on either side of the procession. They are younger and better looking and have those great uniforms designed by Michelangelo but the older guards in suits get the job done, too.

They may need to consider making the barricades a lot higher because she jumped over them both years.  In a still photo at one site I looked at, you can see her putting her right foot on top of the barricade and then she just vaults over, flies at the Pope. 
(12-25-2009, 06:15 AM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it was Vatican security guards who grabbed her, this year and last.  Yes, it was the same woman, wearing red again!  I just started a thread with links to videos of both attacks.

I thought it looked familiar.

What is the difference between them? I thought they were Swiss Guard, are there two forces now?
(12-25-2009, 03:25 AM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote: [ -> ]While we're talking about it though, I 've never asked why the NO allows a Saturday evening mass.  Is that a post V2 thing?  Is there (or has there ever been) an equivalent in the TLM?

Evening masses are relatively recently. Historically, mass was only offered in the morning. I don't know if it is all over, but I've noticed that the FSSP offers mass only in the morning. Mass was a morning thing, not an evening one. This is why the fast was traditionally from midnight; for people going to mass in the morning, this was not a big deal. When mass was allowed in the afternoon, it changed a few practices. It could count for the next day (as noted before this) and the fast was changed to 3 hours.

Vatican II came after this. Saturday evening masses may be more popular for NO parishes, but it wasn't their idea.
(12-24-2009, 11:21 PM)Munda_cor_meum Wrote: [ -> ]This is the second year in a row this has happened, or so I've heard. I've no idea if it was the same person on both years, but either way, it's the slammer for this woman.

Apparently it was the same woman.
winoblue1 Wrote:I just found out about this, but i really doubt it was a mentally ill person. Likely it was someone from the far left or other group with an axe to grind against the Pope.

The reason being...
(12-24-2009, 11:21 PM)Munda_cor_meum Wrote: [ -> ]This is the second year in a row this has happened, or so I've heard. I've no idea if it was the same person on both years, but either way, it's the slammer for this woman.

My account of the story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091225/ap_o..._christmas

claims that the exact same women tried to attack the pope a year ago, but on that time was caught earlier.

Her ideological affiliation was not disclosed, she could be either form the far left or from the far right. One thing is sure: she is not faithful Roman Catholic, who believes in the hierarchical jurisdictional Church as the depository of the truth and good.
Not to be picky but she could be from the ceneter too. Since we don't know her ideology if it was even the drive to do it. Why asume its only the fringes?
Sip
(12-25-2009, 10:41 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Not to be picky but she could be from the ceneter too. Since we don't know her ideology if it was even the drive to do it. Why asume its only the fringes?
Sip

It was the same woman who tried to attack him last year, and her ideology (at least last year) is pro-homosexual.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10