FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Leftover turkey recipes, and while we're at it, leftover dressing recipes, too.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I don't know about all you, but all this turkey talk is making me ill.  :laughing:  (And yet here I am.)
My mother always made a few pies (they freeze well).  You could also do chili or curry.

Basic article about curry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/dining/25mini.html

You can do the chili with white beans to make it more interesting, or bacon maybe? 

In case you're wondering, the leftover tofurkey ended up in vegan Cesar salads and sandwiches.  :laughing:

Here's that Turkey & Barley Soup recipe that I promised:

1 Turkey wing (or carcass)
1 Large butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cut into 2 inch cubes
4 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
5 parsley sprigs
6 sage leaves plus 1 Tablespoon finely chopped sage
1&1/2 cups barley
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
16 cups water

This makes A LOT of soup!  A 6 qt. dutch oven is not big enough!  I use my stock pot.

In 16 cups water put turkey, squash, celery, carrots, onion, parsley sprigs, and sage leaves.  Put over high heat and bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 45 minutes.  Pick turkey off bones & put meat back into soup.  Add barley & cook 45 minutes more.  Before serving, stir in chopped sage, salt and pepper.

Delicious!  If you don't need enough to feed a small army, cut the recipe in half using the same amount of meat.

Let me know if you like this or try it.  A friend of mine got the recipe out of a Guideposts magazine years ago.

Happy New Year!

Mmm, sounds good.  I guess I'll get to these in a day or two.  Have to finish cooking the bird first.
An awesome leftover recipe for anything roasted is a simple fryup. Leave your spuds and all that in the fridge for at least two days (and not too much longer than that, either, really lol) plus your meat and whatnot.
Here in NZ we eat a lot of kumara, dunno if you guys tend to or not but the kumara and spuds are awesome like this.
So anyways, now melt butter or otherwise dripping, or if you have to, margarine - don't use cooking oil it won't be as good in a frying pan - use your biggest pan.
then add the spuds, kumara and other roasted veg (i usually chop em up really small too)
and then after yuo've fried them for awhile - never leaving them still for a moment, either, stir them around and all sorts. oh, forgot to mention, you want a vey high heat. then add shredded whatever your meat is.
fry it right up, when it's all crispy and nice looking (heart-stopping) scoop it out, but leave your butter/fat/whatever you used in there, and fry up some suuny-side-up eggs too.
yum.
(01-12-2010, 11:45 PM)Arun Wrote: [ -> ]An awesome leftover recipe for anything roasted is a simple fryup. Leave your spuds and all that in the fridge for at least two days (and not too much longer than that, either, really lol) plus your meat and whatnot.
Here in NZ we eat a lot of kumara, dunno if you guys tend to or not but the kumara and spuds are awesome like this.
So anyways, now melt butter or otherwise dripping, or if you have to, margarine - don't use cooking oil it won't be as good in a frying pan - use your biggest pan.
then add the spuds, kumara and other roasted veg (i usually chop em up really small too)
and then after yuo've fried them for awhile - never leaving them still for a moment, either, stir them around and all sorts. oh, forgot to mention, you want a vey high heat. then add shredded whatever your meat is.
fry it right up, when it's all crispy and nice looking (heart-stopping) scoop it out, but leave your butter/fat/whatever you used in there, and fry up some suuny-side-up eggs too.
yum.

Hash!  Yeah, that's good stuff.

Well, just a little late - I just used up the last of the breast.  I threw some onions, garlic, tomatoes, and the turkey in a big saute pan, and poured that on top of some rotini. 
This thread makes me hungry. Had some turley shoots lined up too, but with the fletch contact/dropaway rest issue I can't shoot much past 20 yards. Not great for turkey, even NZ turkeys lol.
Have you tried the Whisker Biscuit yet?

What rest are you using now?
(01-13-2010, 12:07 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried the Whisker Biscuit yet?

What rest are you using now?

I use a Trophy Ridge Dropzone Freestyle (the one for fingershooters). I'm not really too keen on the whole WB thing, although all the top comp shooters in NZ use 'em. They seem pretty untuneable to me, plus i'm more for the no-contact school rather than the full-capture.

Hey, could I grab that cabrito recipe off you again, dude? The one where you marinate then slow-smoke it all spicy and stuff...
I'm pretty fond of my WB.  Holds the shaft well when stalking, so I don't have to worry about it, too much, but I know what you mean.

Let me look for that cabrito recipe. I think it's in my other pc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4