FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Holy Land Experience - Orlando?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, I accidently picked this up when recording Jim Cavizel. I feel kind of mixed. It's great that someone was willing to put their treasure where their faith is, but ...
http://www.holylandexperience.com/
(12-30-2009, 05:54 PM)DarkKnight Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I accidently picked this up when recording Jim Cavizel. I feel kind of mixed. It's great that someone was willing to put their treasure where their faith is, but ...
http://www.holylandexperience.com/

The whole thing is plain disgusting. It's a kind of McDonald's mentality applied to the Faith.

Furthermore, when I saw a robot of Wycliffe, the lollard martyr, I turned it off. Complete protestant garbage.
This is a rather Evangelical way of going about it. I've known people who've even worked on it. The idea of letting people walk up to a fake Ark of the Covenant strikes me as strange coming from a people who frown on relic veneration.

An experience like this is better through film I think as a piece of art rather than through something that resembles an amusement park that comes off as, well, amusing.

These Evangelicals who coordinated this, though, should know a lot about the Old Testament Liturgy then. So if only they were exposed to a Tridentine or Byzantine liturgy than they would see similarities right away.

Robot of Wycliffe? Really? He wasn't even really Protestant!? I think they misunderstand the reason what he was doing was so dangerous. It would have been better if they had also shown Douay and Rheims robots, and perhaps a John Gutenberg one as well. And of course we can't neglect St. Jerome who also translated the scriptures into the common language (at that time, Latin).

To be honest, I always thought an idea like this would be interesting and could be very beneficial, that is if it were truly immersive. The immersion is lacking when they have modern music shows and a water fountain show on top of that. But an accurate representation of the Old Testament Liturgy and a reenactment of the political situation of the time could go a long way in helping people understand the Gospel stories. Although I would not want to put on a live action Jesus play at the same time. Of course, I am imagining a Catholic rendition of it so many details would be different.

(12-30-2009, 06:06 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]PS: Robot of Wycliffe? Really? He wasn't even really Protestant!?

He was definitely a heretic, founder of the lollards.

As for the theatrics of the McHoly Land, a den of protestantism, I suppose those fond of the theatre would appreciate it to some extent, like our late Holy Father John Paul II.
The Holy Land Experience is a neat idea. Perhaps it's a little kitsch, but the heart's of the park's founders are in the right place. Indeed, there are worse place one can go in Florida.

WanderingPenitent Wrote:The idea of letting people walk up to a fake Ark of the Covenant strikes me as strange coming from a people who frown on relic veneration.

Indeed. However, some groups are more open to such veneration than others. Read up on the "Emerging Church Movement."

Quote:Robot of Wycliffe? Really? He wasn't even really Protestant!?

The Wycliffe robot is amazing! (I want a Bl. Urban II robot calling for the Crusades. Deus vult!) I saw a commercial for the Holy Land Experience on TBN. I nearly fell off the couch which I saw the Wycliffe robot.

It is true that John Wycliffe was not a Protestant. However, he is often called the "Morning Star of the Reformation." It's not a perfect fit, but the Protestant view of Wycliffe might be similar to the traditionalist Catholic view of Pope S. Pius X vis-a-vis Modernism in the mid-20th century.
(12-30-2009, 09:36 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]The Holy Land Experience is a neat idea. Perhaps it's a little kitsch, but the heart's of the park's founders are in the right place.

I know you like to do this all the time, Credo, but don't be condescending this time, please. We're not stupid. Their hearts are not "in the right place", their hearts are in the money and in the business of "selling religion".

This McHoly Land is an insult to Religion: it promotes it as a business, an entertainment, something to be enjoyed like a football game or a movie. Besides all the protestant trash it promotes, the whole attitude is plainly pathetic and patronizing.
Look at their upcoming events

Jan/7/2010/
Pastor BENNY HINN.
:laughing:
Vetus Ordo Wrote:I know you like to do this all the time, Credo, but don't be condescending this time, please.

Please explain.

Quote:We're not stupid.

Did I say anyone was? One judges as they are.

Quote:Their hearts are not "in the right place", their hearts are in the money and in the business of "selling religion".

Hey everyone, let's worship Vetus Ordo. He says knows people's hearts. He must be God. It never ceases to amaze me how many usernames God has on this site...

Quote:This McHoly Land is an insult to Religion

I did say it was tacky.
I didn't realize we could so easily judge the hearts of others.
(12-31-2009, 10:03 AM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]
Vetus Ordo Wrote:I know you like to do this all the time, Credo, but don't be condescending this time, please.

Please explain.

Your post speaks for itself.

Quote:Hey everyone, let's worship Vetus Ordo. He says knows people's hearts. He must be God. It never ceases to amaze me how many usernames God has on this site...

This is childish and patronizing at the same time. Congratulations.
Pages: 1 2