FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Saints: Who do you like and how do you relate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
You can probably guess from my avatar & nic that I have special affection for St. Therese de Liscieux.  :rose:

Who is your favorite saint and how do you connect with that saint? Do you address him or her in prayer? How has that saint helped you in your life, by his or her legacy of writings, by how he or she lived, or by answering prayer?
St. Kevin of Glendalough. He was the first saint I ever prayed to besides Our Lady when I converted. I identify with him. Enjoys nature, prayer, solitude. But he has a temper as well since he threw that poor woman off a ridge there.  ;D
I think he helps me out.

I also like Padre Pio, but who doesn't?

pax
I relate to my own patron Saint, St Ladislaus King. He chased the enemies of the county, the cuneans, and they run into a chapel. His soldiers wanted to go after them: pagans have no sanctuary rights. The Kings said; Let first pray the out Father. The prayed. Before they get to the "And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors", the King cried: stop. You want vengeance, you do not want God to forgive you.  Some while later the cuneans were Christened and became part of the Hungarian nation. My paternal grandmother was cunean.
(12-30-2009, 08:39 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: [ -> ]St. Kevin of Glendalough. He was the first saint I ever prayed to besides Our Lady when I converted. I identify with him. Enjoys nature, prayer, solitude. But he has a temper as well since he threw that poor woman off a ridge there.  ;D
I think he helps me out.

pax

Wow,  never heard of him... sounds like an unusual saint! When did he live?

I grew up in the Church and I think I was a little overwhelmed with all the saints and devotionals, but Ste Therese was one of the main ones always depicted in our school and when I returned to the Church a few years ago, I found her spiritual guidance and her autobirography "Story of A Soul" to be very helpful. Now I pray primarily to God, also to Mary, and I feel more like I address conversation to Ste Therese, when I am praying the rosary to Our Blessed Mother I address it to Ste Therese at the same time, as if we are all in the room together.

(12-30-2009, 08:52 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]I relate to my own patron Saint, St Ladislaus King. He chased the enemies of the county, the cuneans, and they run into a chapel. His soldiers wanted to go after them: pagans have no sanctuary rights. The Kings said; Let first pray the out Father. The prayed. Before they get to the "And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors", the King cried: stop. You want vengeance, you do not want God to forgive you.  Some while later the cuneans were Christened and became part of the Hungarian nation. My paternal grandmother was cunean.

Another new one for me. Who were the Cuneans?
I also love St. Therese of Lisieux because her "Little Way" is closest to the Gospel, in my opinion. Her theology is both simple and profound. Amazing.

I love St. Francis de Sales. There is nothing like curling up on the couch with one of his books. His down-to-earth personality and fatherly way of communicating appeals to me. He's such a gentleman. It's like we're sitting at the table discussing the faith over a glass of wine or something.

I love St. Francis of Assisi for too many reasons to list here.. but I have to give him recognition.

I love St. John the Baptist - a roaring lion! He electrifies me when I become too gentled by Francis de Sales.
(12-30-2009, 08:59 PM)littlerose Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2009, 08:39 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: [ -> ]St. Kevin of Glendalough. He was the first saint I ever prayed to besides Our Lady when I converted. I identify with him. Enjoys nature, prayer, solitude. But he has a temper as well since he threw that poor woman off a ridge there.  ;D
I think he helps me out.

pax

Wow,  never heard of him... sounds like an unusual saint! When did he live?

They say he was born around 498 and lived until 618 A.D.
(12-30-2009, 08:59 PM)littlerose Wrote: [ -> ]I grew up in the Church and I think I was a little overwhelmed with all the saints and devotionals, but Ste Therese was one of the main ones always depicted in our school and when I returned to the Church a few years ago, I found her spiritual guidance and her autobirography "Story of A Soul" to be very helpful. Now I pray primarily to God, also to Mary, and I feel more like I address conversation to Ste Therese, when I am praying the rosary to Our Blessed Mother I address it to Ste Therese at the same time, as if we are all in the room together.

I thoroughly enjoyed her autobiography. I'll pray to her every once in a while. Her father I pray to a little as well. I like the story of his life.
St Francis of Assisi because I love animals.
St Thomas More because of his courage in the face of heresy and his staying true to the Church though it cost him his life for disobeying the King "I am the Kings good servant but Gods First" He could have saved his life by signing a little piece of paper but he was so devoted to the Church he preferred to loose his head than betray his conscience.
St Edmund of East Anglia fought against the vikings and was captured by them and shot full of arrows
St Edmund Campion
St Joan of Arc
St Thomas Becket
St Padre Pio because he was awesome.

How have they helped me in uncountable ways. St Thomas More helps me stay true to the Church in its current crisis.
For me, its St Therese as well. Not only is she my namesake, but her "little way" appeals to me. I need that, Im an extremely analytical stressed out person, and reading her life stories helps me realize that you can get to heaven without dying of a panic attack just thinking about it.
(12-30-2009, 09:13 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]For me, its St Therese as well. Not only is she my namesake, but her "little way" appeals to me. I need that, Im an extremely analytical stressed out person, and reading her life stories helps me realize that you can get to heaven without dying of a panic attack just thinking about it.

:amen: I hear ya, kiddo.
St Mary Magdalene because of her devotion to our Lord.
St Thomas because he helps me when my faith falters.
St Monica for her unwavering devotion to her son's salvation.
St Dymphna because I always seem to need her prayers.
St Leo because he was just really cool.
St Clare for the same reason.
St Maximilian Kolbe because his story always brings me to tears.
St Padre Pio because his mysticism was more real to me than any other mystic, but I don't know why. He's also my birthday saint in the new calendar. I know, I know, I'm a cafeteria trad.
There's more, but I gotta stop somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6