FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Oblates of the institute of Christ the King/Traditionalist Brotherhoods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been considering a vocation the brotherhood for a while now and one group that really caught my eye was the Institute of Christ the King. Has anyone had any contact with an Oblate of the institute and could tell me a bit about their work and duties? Hopefully by the time I apply (still a few years off) I'll be qualified to teach so I'd really like to do some work that involves high school students. I looked into the Christian Brothers but they've become very, very liberal and I really don't think they're for me given their current state. I'd also consider the SSPX brothers once they're regularized or the Society of St. John Cantius. Does anyone have any stories or suggestions for me?

Thanks and God bless.
Institute churches don't have any parish schools yet.  I don't think there are any plans to acquire them soon either. 
Look into the SSPX brothers. The few I've met a wonderful, hardworking men.
(12-31-2009, 12:17 PM)amasimp Wrote: [ -> ]Institute churches don't have any parish schools yet.  I don't think there are any plans to acquire them soon either. 
They do have some in France and Belgium I believe. Teaching was just an ideal anyway, God can do with me what he wants.
In my neighbourhood (around Chicago) either the Canons of St John Cantius, and the Institute of Christ the King is established.  The former has houses only in the Chicago area, the Institute of Christ all over the US and Europe. Both are trust-able Catholic priest, and around them there are non priests brothers to pray with them and help their work.

The St John Cantius is conservative, they offer either New and TLM masses (both with full reverence for Christ's sacrifice, Gregorian chant, priest leading the faithful toward Christ (East facing at the altar), the Institute of Christ offers only Traditional Latin Mass  At least in this area neither has schools. The Canons St John Cantius was established primarily for the prayer and Eucharistic service, the Institute of Christ is the only traditional organization with missionary touch (they were established originally in Gaboon, Africa)

The FSSP is established in Australia, but they are priestly organization, offering only the third order w/o community life.
The Oblates of the Institute are pretty much the ICRSS Non-Ordained staff. There are only so many seminarians to pass around and use as interns, so the Oblates do the stuff priests and Seminarians are too busy to do. I don't mean to imply they're nothing but secretaries and chauffers (not that there's anything wrong with that), because they also help out in a lot of writing and planning areas. They are aides to the priests and do a good job of it, as well as taking part in all of the devotions. Almost all of them take minor orders and a few have become sub-deacons. Only one so far that I have heard has become a permanent Deacon, but the Institute is still young and may need more deacons to serve with their priests in the future.

If you're looking into the religious life but are not exactly looking to be a friar or a monk than the SSPX or Institute are the ways to go. The most common work I have seen them do besides taking part in most liturgies (including Liturgy of the Hours) is being sacristan, secretaries, and cooks to particular priests.

The only thing I find a bit disappointing about the trad. orders is they usually admit only younger guys not older vocations, from what I have read on their sites anyway.

(12-31-2009, 03:42 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I find a bit disappointing about the trad. orders is they usually admit only younger guys not older vocations, from what I have read on their sites anyway.

The usual age limit is between 18-40, above 40 special consideration is needed.

The traditional upper limit was 30. Older ones were accepted only after special consideration.
The reason for that is simply "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." It is difficult to learn a lot of the things necessary to carry out your religious duty if your older, typically. They do allow for exceptions.
(12-31-2009, 01:07 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]The Oblates of the Institute are pretty much the ICRSS Non-Ordained staff. There are only so many seminarians to pass around and use as interns, so the Oblates do the stuff priests and Seminarians are too busy to do. I don't mean to imply they're nothing but secretaries and chauffers (not that there's anything wrong with that), because they also help out in a lot of writing and planning areas. They are aides to the priests and do a good job of it, as well as taking part in all of the devotions. Almost all of them take minor orders and a few have become sub-deacons. Only one so far that I have heard has become a permanent Deacon, but the Institute is still young and may need more deacons to serve with their priests in the future.

If you're looking into the religious life but are not exactly looking to be a friar or a monk than the SSPX or Institute are the ways to go. The most common work I have seen them do besides taking part in most liturgies (including Liturgy of the Hours) is being sacristan, secretaries, and cooks to particular priests.

I'd love being a sacristan or a cook for a priest, and I could get used to being a secretary. Have you come across any that teach Catechism for adults or children?
Pages: 1 2