FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: what is so bad about decreasing populations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems like every day we read stories trying to panic the public about the eventual decreasing of the populations of developed countries particularly in Europe and Japan/Korea.

My question is, that at least on the surface, this should be OK. I am not talking about the reasons why this is happening because that is not OK,  eg. individualism, abortion, contraception etc., but it does seem to me that with a decrease in population in these countries, the next generation of workers should find it easier to get a job, housing prices will go down, taxes should decrease etc.

BUT i think the real reason governments are trying to create fear is because they have a vested interest in promoting the entitlement systems that they have in place, and this is the reason they are trying to force multiculturalism down our throats because they need an increasing number of workers to maintain the tax base. From education, to health care to everything else...

The simple answer it seems to me is drop the entitlement system and stop immigration, then society will in fact enter a golden age of low housing costs, less competition, less pollution and perhaps create an environment where people will again want to have larger families because they can actually afford and house them.

Any thoughts?
my thoughts is that a declining population only hurts the stability of a nation, if you look at the various declines of civilizations it is almost always comes after a steep population decline, look at the Mayas, Romans, Mesopotamians, even China.  By reducing the population you reduce the need for problem solvers and innovations, there is a decrease in curosity and a decline in trade and further erosion of the infrastructure as roads will not be kept nor will sky scrapers be built or repaired.  The standard of living is actually decreased while prices of property decline. The kinds of jobs available will be severely limited and in that educational opportunities will also be limited. It is a severe problem we are going to face in 50 years.  To think, we are living in the beginning of the next dark age and this one we created ourselves not some pestilance or natural diaster.
When populations declines, something has to fill the void. The problem is that it is the Muslims and Islamic culture that is going to do it.

Besides the fact that the native white French, British, German, Spanish people will disappear from their own countries is that the Muslims will eliminate any trace of Catholicism. In 25 years Sharia law will be in place in Europe, forced conversion to Islam, and the conversion of all churches and cathedrals to mosques.

The liberal governments of Europe are completely naive and clueless. They actually believe when the Muslim immigrants reach the majority, they will somehow adopt fairness, toleration, and multiculturalism. Keep the system going. Little do they know that when the Muslims reach the majority, instead of being grateful and benevolent towards the liberals, they will actually be cutting off their heads with the swords.

It is never okay to have population declines. Population declines always mean one simple thing: the death of that society and culture.
Because it results in a lot of old people without proper care, a suddenly decreased work force and a lot of other issues.
(01-01-2010, 01:36 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]BUT i think the real reason governments are trying to create fear is because they have a vested interest in promoting the entitlement systems that they have in place, and this is the reason they are trying to force multiculturalism down our throats because they need an increasing number of workers to maintain the tax base. From education, to health care to everything else...

Where are you getting this from that it is the governments pushing the fear of depopulation? The people pushing pro-depopulation are the usual suspects, Western Governments, Academia and the Media. As others have posted above, a declining population is a major mark of a declining civilization. Especially when that lower population is spread out across several generations. Yes in modern times it is necessary to have a growing population to support the Welfare State, in the past there was no Welfare State and that civilization still required a growing population to survive.
The world without entitlements would be wonderful, if the income taxes and value added taxes too would be eliminated, the Central governments would be forced to live from the excise taxes, and the taxation power of any Governments would be limited to 10% instead of the recent 48% in the US and 60+% in the rest of the Western world.
In this case families and charities would have enough resources to care about the needy.

To confiscate the incomes and give nothing back is robbery.

The decreasing populations in the developed countries mean that they have to give up their power for the healthier nations like Arabs, Indians, Chinese
In a recent video some one posted even the Mohammedans are decreasing in numbers. Just pointing it out.
tim
People are always a good thing, its their systems of faith and governance that cause problems. This syllogism formed the backbone of what made western civilization the most unique and effective means of temporal happiness this globe has ever known (well since after the fall) because its faith created a culture that held humanity as miricle of God (and His Image)
(01-01-2010, 01:36 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]My question is, that at least on the surface, this should be OK. I am not talking about the reasons why this is happening because that is not OK,  eg. individualism, abortion, contraception etc., but it does seem to me that with a decrease in population in these countries, the next generation of workers should find it easier to get a job, housing prices will go down, taxes should decrease etc.

Thats very untrue.

The next generation of workers will have an unprecedented amount of tax to pay as a result of the massive amount of elderly folks in state care.

Also immigration will solve the problem for employers making it even more difficult to get a job.