FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Converted Catholics........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
There was one young woman recently, here in the US, that died after being run down by her father in his car. He though she was becoming too "Westernized".
(01-01-2010, 01:23 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]There was one young woman recently, here in the US, that died after being run down by her father in his car. He though she was becoming too "Westernized".

Interesting.

However, did the muslim community get behind this man and sanctioned his actions? Perhaps his daughter was not really an apostate (yet).
(01-01-2010, 01:23 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]There was one young woman recently, here in the US, that died after being run down by her father in his car. He though she was becoming too "Westernized".

So instead of making her read the Qur'an more or go to the mosque more or whatever he just KILLED her?!?
(01-01-2010, 01:16 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Certainly, in muslim countries these murders happen much more often, even though most of them are no longer ruled by shari'ah law alone.
Officially, very little happens, but life is not dictated by official proclamations. It does not matter if the murder takes place in an official Islamic government, or by locals/family and the government does nothing about it.

Quote:My argument was the in the West they refrain from doing so in order to protect the community from outside legal interference and eventual persecution.
They do whatever they can get away with. If they have enough numbers, they do a lot more.

Quote:So instead of making her read the Qur'an more or go to the mosque more or whatever he just KILLED her?!?
In Saudi Arabia, a woman was killed by her father and uncle for being friends with a British soldier. In France, groups of Islamic males go out to gang rape girls they think are straying (well, that is their excuse). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samira_Bellil

There are other instances. That is the truth: when there is a large concentration of Muslims, it doesn't matter what the official rules are but what is allowed in practice. Murder and other evils are permitted by their community.
(01-01-2010, 01:25 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting.

However, did the muslim community get behind this man and sanctioned his actions? Perhaps his daughter was not really an apostate (yet).
Probably. Most Muslims cannot condemn suicide bombers (even on civilians) when they are pressed. However, they are also clever and will distance themselves from anything if they feel it would be in their best interest at the time. If they are in Britain, it is all "religious freedom" and "respect" openly. Once they get a high enough population, to hell with everyone else and they do as they please.
Converting from being Jewish is much harder than from being a Hindu, particular in the West. Jews have a particular fear of Catholicism as a culture. Many assume that we think of them as "Christ-killers" and will jab at us for that (sometimes playfully). A lot of them assume we want them to suffer, or at the very least to stay away from us. They're first experience in a church is usually surprising because they do not expect so much friendliness. (Of course I'm speaking of the common cultural Jew in America, not an Orthodox Chassidic Jew or a member of the Jewish Elite)

Hindus on the other hand for the most part, including heterodox Hindus (Sikhs, Jainists, etc.) mostly find Catholicism peculiar. At least this is the case of those in America. India is a different story, and a unique story in each region.
(01-01-2010, 01:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 01:25 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting.

Probably. Most Muslims cannot condemn suicide bombers (even on civilians) when they are pressed. However, they are also clever and will distance themselves from anything if they feel it would be in their best interest at the time. If they are in Britain, it is all "religious freedom" and "respect" openly. Once they get a high enough population, to hell with everyone else and they do as they please.

In the modern world, murders that appear to be random acts of violence can easily have religious motives.  No one has to stand up in court and say that was the motive. A woman is usually killed by being cast out and made into an open target for predators if she converts to an unapproved faith. Unfortunately, this can be as true of Catholic families and Protestant as of Muslims and Jews.

And now , with the rise of the gay culture, young men are as unsafe as young women when their families cast them out. This problem will grow worse as the economy deteriorates and leaves people more dependent on family ties than on being able to earn a living freely as individuals.

(01-01-2010, 01:25 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

Interesting.

I doubt it, as I would consider the "Muslim Community" as being CAIR or something. They don't want that, I would assume. But his Imam or mosque or brothers or whatever might have been okay with it, I really don't know.
(01-01-2010, 01:52 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]Converting from being Jewish is much harder than from being a Hindu, particular in the West. Jews have a particular fear of Catholicism as a culture. Many assume that we think of them as "Christ-killers" and will jab at us for that (sometimes playfully). A lot of them assume we want them to suffer, or at the very least to stay away from us. They're first experience in a church is usually surprising because they do not expect so much friendliness. (Of course I'm speaking of the common cultural Jew in America, not an Orthodox Chassidic Jew or a member of the Jewish Elite)

Hindus on the other hand for the most part, including heterodox Hindus (Sikhs, Jainists, etc.) mostly find Catholicism peculiar. At least this is the case of those in America. India is a different story, and a unique story in each region.
I don't know if that is necessarily true, from what I understand, Hinduism is not just a religious faith, it is very much tied into the culture, heritage, language, and even the race on the subcontinent.Hinduism can be very much nationalistic with religion tied into race and the land within from which it originated. It some aspects, it can be very similar to Judaism or even Zionism.

To many Hindu's, converting can be a betrayal to everything from which they originated from.

Also I'm sure it is much easier being a convert in Western countries than from their indigenous societies and worldviews from which they converted from.

Another words, I'm sure it's much easier for a Muslim to convert to Catholicism and live in say Boston as opposed to doing the same and living in Tehran.

Again, I'm hypothesizing here.
(01-01-2010, 12:50 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]I think it highly depends on the situation.

Any origin can be a problem.

I agree.  I'm not sure how possible it is to compare the generalities.  Personally, I had an easy time with my conversion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7