FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Converted Catholics........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(01-01-2010, 08:18 PM)littlerose Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 08:07 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ][quote='i.p.i.' pid='495550' dateline='1262387568']

alaric,

you left out a letter in the header, making it unintentionally funny -- to me at least.

But you're right, I will start another thread sometime about covert Catholics...... :sneaky:

Oh, that reminds me, I want to watch the movie "Boondock Saints"  :popcorn:

"Boondock Saints" ?  please tell us something so i don't have to go to IMDB. 

'household saints' is interesting with vincent d'onofrio playing lili taylor's father, which is weird because earlier he had played her boyfriend/young husband in 'mystic pizza.'    :o  it works, though, because of makeup and good acting tracy ullman plays lili's mother.  especially good if you're italiano or like films with italian-american characters, plots involving miracles.

btw, you're right that there really are two questions involved.  alaric, or you or anybody could start two new threads.  another forum might be better if lengthy discussion is desired.  apologetics forum, i guess would be an option.

I was raised Nazarene denomination of Protestant and became Catholic when I was 30. It was one of the best moments of my life--my confirmation. And seeing all my children baptized. I told my mother I was switching over (I don't call it "conversion" because technically it isn't--I was Christian before, just a heretic), and she said, "Oh, think of your poor little girls." I replied, "I am." Anyway, at that time, we had three children and had decided to not have any more. Thank God for the Catholic Church, because now we have six! And I can't imagine my life without my three little Catholic babies!  :)
(01-01-2010, 06:16 PM)Jesse Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 11:53 AM)anamchara Wrote: [ -> ]This is an interesting post, Alaric.  My list follows: 

3. Latter Day Saints to Catholic

I also believe someone converting from the JWs or Mormonism would face more severe shunning from family and friends than someone converting from Islam.  The Church is the Whore of Babylon as far as those flaky unitarian cultists are concerned. 

I was raised in a very strict and devout Mormon family (my father held the equivalent position of a Bishop for 12 years).  It is true that Mormons view the Church of Rome as the whore of Babylon;  they also call her "the great and abominable church."  However, this is not an official official position, just the standard interpretation that basically everyone accepts, because from the Mormon point of view Christ's church was on the earth and then the entire thing went apostate and truth/authority was lost until Joseph Smith.

Even so, I don't think it is overly hard for Mormons to convert to Catholicism.  My father even told me, "well, either we're right or you're right, but no one else has a claim."  From their point of view either the Church of Rome lost the authority, in which case Mormonism picked it up, or it didn't.  Other Christian denominations don't figure in.  I think it would have been harder for my father to understand if I had gone to a protestant denomination or to a non-Christian religion because of this.  In any case, leaving the Mormon church is hard to do, because it is so much a part of a Mormon family's culture and identity.  My family and I had to work through alot of things to get to the good place we are with each other now.

Pax vobiscum,
Jesse
Mormonism is one of them what I would call "quasi" Prot faiths that would be a little harder to convert from than most other than Catholic "christian" religions.

But I do admire a lot of aspects of their beliefs, as a matter of fact, they kind of mirror what Catholic families looked like at one time, big families, conservative values, community oriented and much cohesion amongst their group.

But I've heard they have some real strange doctrines that is totally incompatible with much of Christianity or Roman Catholicism. but much of this I've heard second hand, I've never really read one page of the Book Of Mormon personally.

They do seem very cultic though.
(01-01-2010, 09:03 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: [ -> ]I was raised Nazarene denomination of Protestant and became Catholic when I was 30. It was one of the best moments of my life--my confirmation. And seeing all my children baptized. I told my mother I was switching over (I don't call it "conversion" because technically it isn't--I was Christian before, just a heretic), and she said, "Oh, think of your poor little girls." I replied, "I am." Anyway, at that time, we had three children and had decided to not have any more. Thank God for the Catholic Church, because now we have six! And I can't imagine my life without my three little Catholic babies!  :)
Never even heard of "Nazerene" denomination...........Is that some kind of evangelical sect or something?

Where do they originate from?

Six kids..........God bless. ;)
(01-01-2010, 09:39 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]But I've heard they have some real strange doctrines that is totally incompatible with much of Christianity or Roman Catholicism. but much of this I've heard second hand, I've never really read one page of the Book Of Mormon personally.

It is very bizarre and cultic as you put it.

The Book of Mormon isn't that interesting; basically, made up history and "fan fiction" of someone who wants to create a new "Bible". I have the book.
(01-01-2010, 09:43 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 09:03 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: [ -> ]I was raised Nazarene denomination of Protestant and became Catholic when I was 30. It was one of the best moments of my life--my confirmation. And seeing all my children baptized. I told my mother I was switching over (I don't call it "conversion" because technically it isn't--I was Christian before, just a heretic), and she said, "Oh, think of your poor little girls." I replied, "I am." Anyway, at that time, we had three children and had decided to not have any more. Thank God for the Catholic Church, because now we have six! And I can't imagine my life without my three little Catholic babies!  :)
Never even heard of "Nazerene" denomination...........Is that some kind of evangelical sect or something?

Where do they originate from?

Six kids..........God bless. ;)

They are a sect related to "Church of Christ".  A lady I was caring for recently was Nazarene, and one of the other caregivers was Church of Christ. She told me a little about it. They have strong practices of separation from worldy life. The Nazarenes allow musical instruments but the Church of Christ (the one to  which my coworker belongs) are strictly a capella.
(01-01-2010, 09:50 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 09:39 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]But I've heard they have some real strange doctrines that is totally incompatible with much of Christianity or Roman Catholicism. but much of this I've heard second hand, I've never really read one page of the Book Of Mormon personally.

The Book of Mormon isn't that interesting; basically, made up history and "fan fiction" of someone who wants to create a new "Bible". I have the book.
The book of Mormon is bad 19th scentury fantasy-fiction. Seriously. They have the Jews traveling to become the Aztecs and American pioneers digging up solid gold copies of the ten comendments with the extra stuff of Mormonism put in. The biorgarphy of their founder makes me think of L Ron Hubbard and the scientologists.  ::)
(01-01-2010, 09:50 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]

Ahh but you don't have the secret golden tablets or the mysterious de-coder that Mr Smith supposedly had or lost or something like that.

That whole religion seems rigged from the start. then again, that's my perception, I really never read into too much of it.
(01-01-2010, 09:43 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Never even heard of "Nazerene" denomination...........Is that some kind of evangelical sect or something?

Yeah, they come from the Wesleyan holiness movement.

(01-01-2010, 09:43 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Six kids..........God bless. ;)

Thanks! All girls...well, #6 is in the oven, but if it's not a girl, I'll be surprised.
(01-01-2010, 09:57 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 09:43 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Never even heard of "Nazerene" denomination...........Is that some kind of evangelical sect or something?

Yeah, they come from the Wesleyan holiness movement.

(01-01-2010, 09:43 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Six kids..........God bless. ;)

Thanks! All girls...well, #6 is in the oven, but if it's not a girl, I'll be surprised.
My uncle had six girls and his wife was from Russia.

Yea he drank a lot. :laughing:

I'll pray you get a break this time around for #6 DC.
Actually, I want another girl.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7