FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Converted Catholics........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(01-01-2010, 06:25 PM)i.p.i. Wrote: [ -> ]what were you before your conversion?  if you said on p. 1, i don't recall.

I was born and raised Jewish.  In my teens I became a fundamentalist Christian.  After a few years, I became Catholic.  They were hoping in was just a teen phase at first so they didn't want to over-react.  When I became Catholic, they realized it was serious, but they had sort of gotten used to the idea of me converting by then.
i converted from "nothing" (or paganism), though i would like to call it "materialisim in a sea of nothingness" =P

It was very easy for me (my parents didn't care) and i was starved of love and truth (well we all seek God, having been made for Him). So when i received the fullness of what the Catholic Church possessed i was absolutely happy.

Deo Gratias.
(01-01-2010, 10:05 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I want another girl.
Have at it..........

But someone needs to carry your family name. No?
(01-01-2010, 09:39 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Mormonism is one of them what I would call "quasi" Prot faiths that would be a little harder to convert from than most other than Catholic "christian" religions.

But I do admire a lot of aspects of their beliefs, as a matter of fact, they kind of mirror what Catholic families looked like at one time, big families, conservative values, community oriented and much cohesion amongst their group.

But I've heard they have some real strange doctrines that is totally incompatible with much of Christianity or Roman Catholicism. but much of this I've heard second hand, I've never really read one page of the Book Of Mormon personally.

They do seem very cultic though.

Yes, many doctrines are incompatible.  Mormons really dislike it when people say they are not Christian, but they disagree with most shared Christian doctrines.  For example, they believe that God is three separate beings and that God the Father and God the Son have physical bodies and are located in space/time (on a planet near the star Kolob).  This view of God really messed me up growing up, because it is so limiting.  How could God be God if he's hanging out with a body in time and space?  It makes God more like a Greek mythological being... Zeus or something.

Pax vobiscum,
Jesse
(01-01-2010, 10:32 PM)karyn_anne Wrote: [ -> ]i converted from "nothing" (or paganism), though i would like to call it "materialisim in a sea of nothingness" =P

It was very easy for me (my parents didn't care) and i was starved of love and truth (well we all seek God, having been made for Him). So when i received the fullness of what the Catholic Church possessed i was absolutely happy.

Deo Gratias.
There's a lot more to Paganism more than "nothingness". I know and work with some Pagans, their very nature oriented and anti organized religion.

They also have a lot of animosity towards Christianity, especially Catholicism. They believe the church has persecuted them from it's inception. In some ways they were right, but It's more complicated than that. sometimes I dialogue with them if their rational, most time they're not.

I'm glad you found peace in the Church.
(01-01-2010, 10:45 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 10:32 PM)karyn_anne Wrote: [ -> ]i converted from "nothing" (or paganism), though i would like to call it "materialisim in a sea of nothingness" =P

Deo Gratias.
There's a lot more to Paganism more than "nothingness". I know and work with some Pagans, their very nature oriented and anti organized religion.

They also have a lot of animosity towards Christianity, especially Catholicism. They believe the church has persecuted them from it's inception. In some ways they were right, but It's more complicated than that. sometimes I dialogue with them if their rational, most time they're not.

actually , some of them are pretty organized - and you're right about the animosity. I had a woman blast me over some celtic knot tiles that I had painted - she said that Christians stole those images from the Celts. I tried to tell her that we took them and modified them to be Christian symbols, but she couldn't really hear me...

:o

I know a few Catholics in the arts that went pagan - hopefully they'll be back.

:(
(01-01-2010, 10:37 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]But someone needs to carry your family name. No?

Not really, since it's not my real name. I was adopted at the age of--well, young--and now my father, whom I've never met and who has a different name from me, is finally wanting to meet me after 35 years. Hmmm, and the first time he contacts me is because he's so grief-stricken that his son (I had a brother!!) had killed himself, and now I've all he's got left. And I don't even have his name.

Just another case in point that divorce is an abomination. Look at all the problems it causes.
(01-01-2010, 10:57 PM)libby Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 10:45 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]

Deo Gratias.

actually , some of them are pretty organized - and you're right about the animosity. I had a woman blast me over some celtic knot tiles that I had painted - she said that Christians stole those images from the Celts. I tried to tell her that we took them and modified them to be Christian symbols, but she couldn't really hear me...

:o

I know a few Catholics in the arts that went pagan - hopefully they'll be back.

:(
Don't forget, many Prots still consider the Church a pagan offspring.

I think even some Muslims and Jews consider us "idol worshipers" if I'm correct.

BTW, I love Celtic art and music.
(01-01-2010, 11:11 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 10:37 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]But someone needs to carry your family name. No?

Not really, since it's not my real name. I was adopted at the age of--well, young--and now my father, whom I've never met and who has a different name from me, is finally wanting to meet me after 35 years. Hmmm, and the first time he contacts me is because he's so grief-stricken that his son (I had a brother!!) had killed himself, and now I've all he's got left. And I don't even have his name.

Just another case in point that divorce is an abomination. Look at all the problems it causes.
Still, your name is your identity is it not? Doesn't the family who adopted  you deserve to have their name passed on?

Your biological father is a difficult situation, but remember, it's not just his name, but his father's as well, and his father, and so on. It shouldn't just die because of your spite for one man. think of your ancestors, there is more in a name than just a word.
(01-01-2010, 11:27 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Still, your name is your identity is it not? Doesn't the family who adopted deserve to have their name passed on?

Nope. See, I've still got my mom. She just remarried and hated my original dad so much she asked her second husband to adopt us and change our names. He did, but then they also got divorced when I was still very young, so my name means jack to me. Besides, second dad has a son to carry on his name.

(01-01-2010, 11:27 PM)alaric Wrote: [ -> ]Your biological father is a difficult situation, but remember, it's not just his name, but his father's as well, and his father, and so on. It shouldn't just die because of your spite for one man. think of your ancestors, their is more in a name than just a word.

I have no spite for my original dad. When did I say I did? I'm just saying that I don't have his name anymore, and I'm not going to--at the age of 35--change my name back to its original, since that would also involve changing my wife's and five children's. Too much of a pain in the ass--nothing to do with spite.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7