FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What is the holy day of obligation today? Mother of God or 8th day of Octave?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Coming from the Novus Ordo I'm kind of at a loss as to what we're celebrating today. In the new calendar it's always been the Solemnity of Mary Mother of God but on my traditional calendar that's not on there and instead it's showing Circumcision of Our Lord and the 8th day of the Nativity Octave.

So what makes today a Holy Day of Obligation?

A) Solemnity of Mary Mother of God
B) Circumcision of Our Lord
C) 8th Day of Nativity Octave

Was January 1st a Holy Day prior to V2 in the US?

Thanks! And Happy... uh... Holy day of obligation - whichever one it turns out to be!

From my pre-V2 St. Joseph Daily Missal:

Jan. 1 - Octave Day of Christmas

On this, the Octave Day of Christmas, the Church commemorates the Circumcision of our Redeemer and also honors Mary's Divine Maternity. The sinless Son of Man sheds for us the first drops of His Blood, and the Lord of all submits to a Mosaic Law.

I've always known Jan 1st to be a Holy Day because of the Circumcision of Our Lord.

Here's FE explanation: http://www.fisheaters.com/customschristmas7.html

a bit from the FE site:

Our Lord later fulfilled this part of Torah through the Sacrament of Baptism, an event which will be brought into focus on the Feast of the Epiphany in 5 days and again on the 13th of January at the Commemoration of the Baptism of Our Lord. His Circumcision, though, has another, deeper meaning in that it symbolizes and foreshadows the Blood He will shed for us on Calvary...

Today, too, we honor the Holy Name of Jesus which was given to Him on this day. We celebrate His Holy Name more fully next Sunday (or tomorrow if the first Sunday of the year falls today, or on the 6th or the 7th).

I'm not sure when January 1 became considered a holy day of obligation. But I do know that at one time, before the 15th century, the Circumcision and the Holy Name were celebrated on the same day. Those two, together with the Octave AND the divine maternity of Mary all made January 1 an important feast.
(01-01-2010, 06:54 PM)Ruination_ipa Wrote: [ -> ]So what makes today a Holy Day of Obligation?

The Church.

I know that's not what was being asked, but ultimately for whatever reason the Church has declared that Jan 1 is a Holy Day of Obligation, and we must follow that decision unless dispensed by the proper authority.

From the time that the present Mass formulary for this day came into existence this Mass commemorates Our Lady (particularly her virginity), the Circumcision and the Octave of Christmas. To that end the Mass (except prayers, epistle and Gospel) is identical to the Christmas Day Mass (Puer Natus), the prayers reference Our Lady and the Epistle and Gospel refer to the Circumcision, Christ's shedding of blood and that which it prefigured: the Sacrament of Baptism.

It is all three and hard to judge for which of these reasons it is Obligatory to attend Mass.

Ultimately it is because the Church has judged that on Jan 1 we must attend Mass, that we are obliged to do so. This obligation could be removed, or the Church could require that we attend Mass the Monday after the Third Sunday in Lent when there is no feast if She, in Her wisdom saw fit.

In reality, the greater feast of the Christmas Season is the Epiphany, not Christmas itself, yet we are obliged to attend Mass on Christmas, but in the U.S., not on the Epiphany (though in other countries, such is obliged).
(01-01-2010, 11:11 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure when January 1 became considered a holy day of obligation.
After Vatican II, since my "old school" grandmother didn't recognize today as a holy day of obligation.
This FSSP church's website says today is the octave day of Christmas.
(01-01-2014, 07:06 PM)Geremia Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2010, 11:11 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure when January 1 became considered a holy day of obligation.
After Vatican II, since my "old school" grandmother didn't recognize today as a holy day of obligation.

Geremia, I'd double check with grandma, as I remember the feast of the Circumcision as a Holy Day of Obligation, but I could be wrong.

tim
It's been an Holy Day of Obligation since the days of the Corpus. It is one of the ten HDoOs listed in the 1917 CIC. It is definitely NOT a V II innovation!
(01-01-2014, 08:27 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]It's been an Holy Day of Obligation since the days of the Corpus. It is one of the ten HDoOs listed in the 1917 CIC. It is definitely NOT a V II innovation!

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2