FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope urges people to be more environmentally responsible to save the planet.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6000G220100101

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict used his traditional New Year address on Friday to call on people to change their lifestyles to save the planet, saying environmental responsibility was essential for global peace.

World  |  Green Business

Recalling that world leaders had gathered in Copenhagen last month for the U.N. climate conference, the pope said action at a personal and community level was just as important to safeguard the environment.

"Nevertheless, in this moment, I would like to underline the importance of the choices of individuals, families and local administrations in preserving the environment," the Pope told the thousands of faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square.

"An objective shared by all, an indispensable condition for peace, is that of overseeing the earth's natural resources with justice and wisdom."

The pope, who had a scare last week when a woman with a history of mental problems knocked him down during Christmas Eve mass, also said "ecological responsibility" should be taught as part of the education syllabus.

The pope and his predecessor John Paul have put the Vatican firmly on an environmentalist footing. Last month, in a message sent to heads of state and international organizations, the pope called on rich nations to acknowledge responsibility for the environmental crisis and shed consumerism.

To "save the planet?"  How about saving our souls? :pray2:
The popes have always made comments on relatively minor issues in the past. It is nothing special.
He could talk two months on the Eucharist but the moment he mentions the "Environment" they'll quote him with eagerness.

And before everyone gets angry............Aren't we supposed to be stewards of the Earth? I have noticed in history that Catholic nations tended to be less pollutant than Protestant ones, and Christian Europe was much friendlier to the environment than Pagan Rome was....Etc.....
(01-01-2010, 11:51 PM)SLCFranciscan Wrote: [ -> ]To "save the planet?"  How about saving our souls? :pray2:

I'm a bit surprised that someone who has taken a screen name containing "Franciscan" has a problem with this.  St. Francis is the patron saint for the environment. 

There are some really bad ideas influencing environmentalism these days.  I would like to see Catholics taking the good elements and making them our own.  I'm thinking of the way St. Thomas Aquinas took the good elements from Aristotle.  Some commentators on Aristotle were going off in directions that were antithetical to Catholicism so that a lot of good Catholics were suspicious of anything to do with Aristotle.  I think that the approach of St. Thomas was better.

Saving the planet is not in opposition to saving our souls.  Cultivating spiritual values of simplicity and voluntary poverty  would be very good for both.  Materialism and consumerism are evils that harm more than our souls.  Our spiritual struggles are tied to those of creation.  Consider this passage from Romans 8:19-21:
Quote:The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that[i] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

(01-02-2010, 12:05 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]He could talk two months on the Eucharist but the moment he mentions the "Environment" they'll quote him with eagerness.

And before everyone gets angry............Aren't we supposed to be stewards of the Earth? I have noticed in history that Catholic nations tended to be less pollutant than Protestant ones, and Christian Europe was much friendlier to the environment than Pagan Rome was....Etc.....

well catholic countries have historically been less developed industrially than protestant ones because they had commodities worth trading like wine, salt, olives, etc
Also the headline and his quotes don't match. Typical inaccurate and irresponsible reporting.
(01-01-2010, 11:51 PM)SLCFranciscan Wrote: [ -> ]To "save the planet?"  How about saving our souls? :pray2:

:thumb:
(01-02-2010, 12:10 AM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm a bit surprised that someone who has taken a screen name containing "Franciscan" has a problem with this.  St. Francis is the patron saint for the environment. 

There are some really bad ideas influencing environmentalism these days.  I would like to see Catholics taking the good elements and making them our own.  I'm thinking of the way St. Thomas Aquinas took the good elements from Aristotle.  Some commentators on Aristotle were going off in directions that were antithetical to Catholicism so that a lot of good Catholics were suspicious of anything to do with Aristotle.   I think that the approach of St. Thomas was better.

Saving the planet is not in opposition to saving our souls.  Cultivating spiritual values of simplicity and voluntary poverty  would be very good for both.  Materialism and consumerism are evils that harm more than our souls.  Our spiritual struggles are tied to those of creation.  Consider this passage from Romans 8:19-21:
Quote:The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that[i] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

Nicely said.  Taking care of the natural world is a wonderful way to show our faith and belief that God is the creator and there is more to the universe than just dead matter.

Pax vobiscum,
Jesse
(01-02-2010, 12:14 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]Also the headline and his quotes don't match. Typical inaccurate and irresponsible reporting.

So true.

Quote:"Nevertheless, in this moment, I would like to underline the importance of the choices of individuals, families and local administrations in preserving the environment," the Pope told the thousands of faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square.

"An objective shared by all, an indispensable condition for peace, is that of overseeing the earth's natural resources with justice and wisdom."

There is nothing wrong for the Pope to mention the environment. Heck, as kids we were taught not to throw trash out the car window because not only is it a sin against the 10th commandment, it's ugly.  At the same time we were not to fall into the whole "Mother Earth" hysteria because that was against the 1st commandment. Anyone else remember all that?

Funny how much worse things supposedly have gotten since back in the 60s and 70s, the public was bombarded with recycle and anti-pollution teachings in the schools, news, slogans bill boards etc. - that was when "save the environment" was known as "conservation".......anyone remember "Paper drives" or just one of the multitude of public service commercials like "Give a hoot, don't pollute"?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6