FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholic Rites and Churches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Although the Church is unblemished, I doubt we can declare the Roman Rite "unblemished" with what's happened in the past century. I believe in One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, there is not "Roman" in that description. Yes, I am a Roman Catholic, but the "Catholic" supersedes the "Roman," as well as the "Byzantine, Antiochan, Alexandrian, Armenian, and Syriac." We are one Church. Schism is not caused by liturgical differences, but heresy and disobedience. If a liturgy is not heretical, then there is not a problem. If a liturgy still expresses unity with the Papacy, despite saying it in Greek, Slovenian, or Aramaic, it is not disobedient. The Liturgy is performed for a universal God Who hears prayers in all languages from all places.
(01-04-2010, 03:05 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2010, 02:01 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]But, if you would like liturgical uniformity, perhaps we could try this?  Maybe the Pope should ban the Roman rite altogether, and adopt the Byzantine rite.  That way, the Eastern churches would be using the rite of the Pope, the Byzantine Catholics could hold onto their own liturgy and spirituality, and the Latins would have the desired liturgical uniformity.  Would that be a fair compromise?

Don't be ridiculous.

Besides being the Vicar of Christ, the Pope is the bishop of Rome. His rite is the rite of the Roman see, the unblemished guardian of the faith, not the rite of the see of Constantinople.

I'm not being rediculous.  It's very easy for you to suggest that we sacrifice our rite for yours, because you are already in the rite you want us to exchange ours for.  You want us to give up everything so that you have to give up nothing.  If the tables were turned, and you were asked to abandon the traditional Roman liturgy for something different, you would say "HELL NO!" and this is the very reason for the existance today of the SSPX, FSSP, ICK, etc.  It's very easy to make demands when you don't have to give anything up yourself.  So, likewise, we have our own rite, one which is 100% Catholic, and when the Latins say we should abandon it for theirs, something which is alien to us, it is not out of a schismatic mentality, but out of filial devotion to our equally Catholic tradition that we rightfully say "HELL NO!"
(01-04-2010, 02:01 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]But, if you would like liturgical uniformity, perhaps we could try this?  Maybe the Pope should ban the Roman rite altogether, and adopt the Byzantine rite. 

Hey, I'd be all for the Pope adopting the Byzantine Rite if he banned the ordinary form of the Roman Rite  ;D
(01-04-2010, 04:05 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2010, 02:01 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]But, if you would like liturgical uniformity, perhaps we could try this?  Maybe the Pope should ban the Roman rite altogether, and adopt the Byzantine rite. 

Hey, I'd be all for the Pope adopting the Byzantine Rite if he banned the ordinary form of the Roman Rite  ;D

I always wondered what would happen if a Cardinal who was an Eastern Patriarch/Bishop was elected Pope.
If I may interject here.  I think among Traditional Catholics there is a huge misunderstanding in regards to the Eastern Rite Catholics and the other 22 rites of the Catholic Church.  Traditional Catholics are under the false impression that the Roman Church (prior to Vatican II) only wanted the Latin Mass said everywhere with the Catechism of Trent taught in every parish.  That could not be further from the truth.  I am currently reading a book titled "With God in Russia" written by Fr. Walter Ciszek, SJ.  He spent 23 years in a Russian prisons (1940s to 1960s).  He mentions a letter from Pope Pius XI written in 1929 asking seminarians, especially Jesuits, to consider signing up for a mission to Russia.  Fr. Ciszek signed up, went to Rome and studied at the Russicum (College of Russia founded by Pius XI), learned the Eastern Rite liturgy, and Eastern theology.  This all under the direction of the Pope. 

I think often times idealistic Traditional Catholics imagine that they will conquer/convert the world with the Latin Mass and St. Thomas Aquinas because that is what the Roman Catholic Church is suppose to do and prior to Vatican II that is precisely what She did.  Again, that is just not the case.  I hope I am not being unkind.  That is not my intention.  I just wish to point out that Western Catholics have a lot to learn (myself most certainly) about the Church and that knowledge must include history and liturgy of the Church prior to 1225 (the year St. Thomas Aquinas was born).
(01-04-2010, 04:07 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]I always wondered what would happen if a Cardinal who was an Eastern Patriarch/Bishop was elected Pope.

He would automatically be transferred to the Latin Church.
I guess that makes sense, if he is to be the bishop of Rome and the metropolitan and primate of Italy.
(01-04-2010, 04:05 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm all over that - anything to displace the NO.
(01-04-2010, 04:23 PM)salome Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently reading a book titled "With God in Russia" written by Fr. Walter Ciszek, SJ.  He spent 23 years in a Russian prisons (1940s to 1960s).  He mentions a letter from Pope Pius XI written in 1929 asking seminarians, especially Jesuits, to consider signing up for a mission to Russia.  Fr. Ciszek signed up, went to Rome and studied at the Russicum (College of Russia founded by Pius XI), learned the Eastern Rite liturgy, and Eastern theology.  This all under the direction of the Pope. 

Hey, I have that book as well! - put it aside and never got back to it - that reminds me I need to, thanks.
Pages: 1 2