FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I went to a Maronite mass today ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For the first time I went to a Maronite Rite mass today! I was very nice, but unfortunately has been very Latinized - they had Alter girls, the tabernacle wasn't in the centre of the sanctuary and the priest faced the people during consecration. What WAS good was that they used 'for many' at the consecration and the music (which is a particular bugbear for me in the NO) was very (from what I could tell) traditional. If I couldn't get to a TLM I would defiantly go there again.
Just thought I let you all know ...  :P
In the Maronite liturgy the priest has always faced the people. It is the one liturgy that is an exception to the rule.
I would love to be able to go to a Maronite Divine Liturgy one day...
(01-03-2010, 01:22 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]In the Maronite liturgy the priest has always faced the people. It is the one liturgy that is an exception to the rule.

Thats really interesting! This particular parish I went to didn't have many icons, and they had a western style stations of the cross, is this also normal? I was expecting something more Greek Orthodox-ish ... except not in Greek.
It was really very nice though, I felt really comfortable there, though I wouldn't attend regularly as I'm a Latin boy through and through ;D.
(01-03-2010, 12:08 AM)SinfullyLate Wrote: [ -> ]For the first time I went to a Maronite Rite mass today! I was very nice, but unfortunately has been very Latinized - they had Alter girls, the tabernacle wasn't in the centre of the sanctuary and the priest faced the people during consecration. What WAS good was that they used 'for many' at the consecration and the music (which is a particular bugbear for me in the NO) was very (from what I could tell) traditional. If I couldn't get to a TLM I would defiantly go there again.

im. surprised all the "tlm"-types on here are going to let you get away with this.
Not suprised the maronite rite has been heavily Notardized
(01-03-2010, 08:26 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Not suprised the maronite rite has been heavily Notardized

What hasn't these days?

The revolution spreads on.
(01-03-2010, 01:22 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]In the Maronite liturgy the priest has always faced the people. It is the one liturgy that is an exception to the rule.

Where did you pick up that idea?  The Maronites adopted versus populum in imitation of the modern Latins.  The same is true of the Malabars and the Chaldeans.

http://books.google.com/books?id=r9GLP8GMixEC&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq=maronite+versus+populum&source=bl&ots=J8vHePOwky&sig=vNhWaeUGtOi4WuZC7nPcjJtUaSU&hl=en&ei=sgtBS5GsD5WsMZ_dlaED&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=maronite%20versus%20populum&f=false
(01-03-2010, 07:30 AM)dkpintar Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2010, 12:08 AM)SinfullyLate Wrote: [ -> ]For the first time I went to a Maronite Rite mass today! I was very nice, but unfortunately has been very Latinized - they had Alter girls, the tabernacle wasn't in the centre of the sanctuary and the priest faced the people during consecration. What WAS good was that they used 'for many' at the consecration and the music (which is a particular bugbear for me in the NO) was very (from what I could tell) traditional. If I couldn't get to a TLM I would defiantly go there again.

im. surprised all the "tlm"-types on here are going to let you get away with this.

What "controversial" statement are you seeing? BTW, This is a TLM forum, DK. It'd be good for you to know where you are and with whom you are talking to.

In Corde Regis,
Joshua
(01-03-2010, 05:34 PM)GeorgeT Wrote:is the consecration still valid when it's done by a puppet wuth strings? :P

only if the puppet says 'for many'  :laughing:

but I take it their liturgy hasn't actually changed? One interesting thing was that they had a translation of the Our Father, and at the end the translation said 'for thine is the kingdom and the glory for ever and ever' King James Bible style  ???
Pages: 1 2