FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Epiphany moved to Jan 3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So I have found out from a friend that the Conciliar Church is celebrating the Epiphany on Jan 3 instead of the 6 I didnt know the epiphany was a moveable feast.
Solemnities of the Lord (Epiphany, Baptism, Ascension) are moved to the nearest Sundays in some (not all) dioceses. January 6 is still the Epiphany on the traditional calendar, on which day it will be celebrated liturgically by traditional communities.

- Lisa
Yes, at least in the United States the Epiphany is today (Sunday). If there is a plus side to this, it is that more people will be exposed to this mighty feast (traditionally a weightier celebration than even Christmas) than if it were plopped in the middle of the week.
(01-03-2010, 10:52 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, at least in the United States the Epiphany is today (Sunday).

Really?  I thought the American bishops had moved it to next Sunday.  For us Byzantine Catholics, today was the Sunday before Epiphany, and Wednesday (Epiphany) is a Holyday of Obligation, although January 1 was not.
In most US Dioceses, Epiphany was celebrated today (always the first Sunday after Jan 1), and the Baptism of the Lord is celebrated the Sunday following Epiphany (Jan 10 this year).
(01-03-2010, 10:52 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, at least in the United States the Epiphany is today (Sunday). If there is a plus side to this, it is that more people will be exposed to this mighty feast (traditionally a weightier celebration than even Christmas) than if it were plopped in the middle of the week.

I know! And we didn't see any blessed chalk today either! *hrmph*
So is it movable or is America doing something weird?
(01-03-2010, 11:48 PM)Deusdark Wrote: [ -> ]So is it movable or is America doing something weird?

American bishops have permission from the Holy See to do something weird.
(01-03-2010, 11:41 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2010, 10:52 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, at least in the United States the Epiphany is today (Sunday). If there is a plus side to this, it is that more people will be exposed to this mighty feast (traditionally a weightier celebration than even Christmas) than if it were plopped in the middle of the week.

I know! And we didn't see any blessed chalk today either! *hrmph*

I'm a cradle Catholic and I've never heard of the chalk custom. January 6 is my birthday and maybe I was too busy eating cake. 
You're still allowed to go to Mass on January 6th you know, regardless of what the "conciliar church" is doing.

Just throwing that out there.  :tiphat:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5