FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope's secretary visits Christmas Eve assailant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at this meeting:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/art...ikLd7FR08Q

I know she's supposed to be a bit whacky, but for some reason, I think there's more to this desire to meet with her than is being stated...  Tin Foil Hat

Quote:Pope's secretary visits Christmas Eve assailant
(AFP) – 14 hours ago
VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI's personal secretary has visited the woman who knocked the pontiff to the ground at midnight mass, the pope's spokesman said on Sunday.

Father Federico Lombardi said the pope's secretary Bishop Georg Gaenswein paid a visit to Susana Maiolo, who has a history of mental problems and is being held in a psychiatric unit outside Rome.

A report in Il Giornale daily newspaper said Gaenswein gave her a rosary, saying the pontiff had forgiven her for what she had done.

Maiolo, 25, leapt over a security barrier and bundled the pope to the ground at the Christmas Eve midnight mass in Saint Peter's Basilica.

The pope was unhurt and led the service as planned, but the 87-year-old French Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, who was also knocked over, suffered a broken hip.

"Over the last few days, in a confidential way, Monsignor Georg Gaenswein paid a visit to Miss Maiolo to show the Holy Father's interest in her situation," Lombardi said in a statement.

Maiolo, who has Swiss and Italian nationality, is under investigation by a Vatican court, and Lombardi said this process would be allowed to run its course.

According to Vatican sources quoted by ANSA a few days after the incident, the court was likely to acquit Maiolo because of her mental state.

Italian press reports said Maiolo, who made a similar attempt to get close to the pontiff at midnight mass a year earlier, told doctors she "did not want to hurt the pope, just ask him to help the weak".
(01-03-2010, 11:47 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]she "did not want to hurt the pope, just ask him to help the weak".
[/quote]

So she pummels him.  Huh-uh
(01-04-2010, 01:49 AM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2010, 11:47 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]she "did not want to hurt the pope, just ask him to help the weak".

So she pummels him.  Huh-uh

Well, we already knew she was Crazy
Me thinks she may be possessed.
(01-04-2010, 07:45 AM)Orville_B_Croft Wrote: [ -> ]Me thinks she may be possessed.

That's kinda why I think there was this interview...

mental illness is as real as physical illness so we should pray for her.  if she's truly suffering from a psychiatric condition, she may not be responsible for her actions, morally or legally.

however. . .

let's also pray that next year, if she's allowed to attend Christmas Eve Mass at the Vatican, a Vatican security guard or, better yet, two guards, will be right beside her, holding her hands and ready to grab her arms if need be.

• and that the security personnel will be given more training to help recognize signs of mental illness when they're admitting people, though she may have shown none.

• and, most especially, that His Holiness suffers no aftereffects from his fall. 

maybe he should start using the throne on a moving box sort of apparatus that JP II used in the last year or two of his life , in order to prevent future falls on the hard marble floor and also put him higher, more out of reach of the crowd, yet actually more visible to all. 

people would see he's still able to walk perfectly well when they watch him at the altar.  the vatican is always reticent in discussing papal health but i think they should say that although his health is excellent, he will be 'taking the A* train' up to the altar to prevent future falls due to any jostling by the crowd.  *A as in altar.

• and let us also pray that the cardinal [etcheragay?] heals well.

She strikes me as a communist rabble rouser. Was any of her history ever released, or known? When she says she wanted to help the weak, I interpreted that as wanting to help the 'oppressed workers' of the world.

What can I say, this just smacks of ugly, malicious, communist rabble rousing.