FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Milwaukee's first Polish archbishop takes over diocese
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.jsonline.com/features/religion/80653397.html
Milwaukee's first Polish archbishop takes over diocese

Catholic Church leaders from around the country, including New York Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan, were in Milwaukee on Monday as the Most Rev. Jerome E. Listecki assumed his role as the spiritual leader of southeastern Wisconsin's nearly 650,000 Catholics.

Listecki, 60, was installed as the 11th Archbishop of Milwaukee in a solemn Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 812 N. Jackson St.

Pope Benedict XVI named Listecki in November to succeed Dolan, who left in April to lead the New York see.

Listecki's installation began Sunday night with a solemn prayer service known as Vespers. He returned to the Cathedral on Monday for a liturgy that reflected Listecki's heritage - he is Milwaukee's first Polish archbishop - and the multicultural character of the Catholic Church in the 21st Century.

Dolan, who has called Listecki a friend, was among his concelebrants, along with Milwaukee Auxiliary Bishops William P. Callahan, Richard J. Sklba and Archbishop Emeritus Rembert G. Weakland.

In his closing remarks, the new archbishop acknowledged Dolan's place in the history and hearts of the people of Milwaukee. Listecki said that when he sat in the cathedra, or bishop's seat, he skooched to one side to leave some room.

"I wasn't making room for my guardian angel, but for Archbishop Timothy Dolan," he said.

"And if the chair will hold both of us, I know he will always have a place in the hearts of the people of Milwaukee.

Listecki likened his relationship with the Milwaukee faithful to the television show "Dancing with the Stars," a favorite of his sister's.

"Today we begin our dance together. I apologize if I tend to step on your toes, but I am confident we will grow in God's love and our performance will be a witness to his presence in southeastern Wisconsin," he said.

Also in attendance at the invitation-only service that filled the 1,000-seat Cathedral were dozens of bishops and four cardinals, including Francis George of Chicago and Edward Egan of New York.

In his homily, the new archbishop stressed devotion and service to Christ, warned against the dangers of secularism, and the importance of marriage and the family as a way to transmit the faith.

"In our own American society we must present a clear alternative to the established secular religion which permeates our daily lives. We need to acknowledge mystery and our dependence upon God. It is in our faithfulness in reflecting the mind and the heart of our Church that represents the singular voice of Christ to our community and the world."

He also seemed to acknowledge the sex abuse scandal that has rocked the church.

"As a church, we have experienced the devastation of sin and its effect on us personally and as a community. We acknowledge that at time we too have failed to be witnesses of Christ. However, it is only in our true commitment to love that healing can occur and the Lord Jesus may be exalted."

A Chicago native, Listecki is a moral theologian and civil and canon lawyer who spent nearly five years as bishop of La Crosse before his appointment to Milwaukee.

He is controversial for some - and lauded by others - because of his willingness to weigh into the political fray. As bishop of La Crosse, Listecki chastised House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for her misstatement on Catholic teachings regarding the beginnings of life and criticized Notre Dame's decision to honor President Barack Obama. And last month, he admonished a Catholic organization for its positions on birth control and abortion.

[Image: mjs-listecki_05p7_-news_-mj.jpg]

=====
Whoooooo!  My new Archbishop! 

Prayers for him, as he takes the helm of the Milwaukee Archdiocese.  Lord knows, even years after Weakland's reign of terror, he needs help righting the Church of Milwaukee... 

Do you have any idea of what his stance on traditionalism and charismaticism is?
No idea.  I know he succeeded Abp. Burke in LaCrosse, has been good with vocations, and can raise money. 

"And last month, he admonished a Catholic organization for its positions on birth control and abortion."
He did that.  Which is pretty cool.

http://terrenceberres.com/2010/01/mammon...ister.html
http://terrenceberres.com/2010/01/listeckis-list.html

Two blog posts talking about stuff facing the Archbishop.
His first order of business should be to get weakland out.
(01-04-2010, 08:01 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]His first order of business should be to get weakland out.

My thoughts exactly.

If I were Abp., I'd strip his name (very unceremoniously) from ANYTHING even CLOSELY related to the Archdiocesan property. 

Then boot him out of my archdiocese. 
(01-04-2010, 08:01 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]His first order of business should be to get weakland out.

For sure Weakland the weakling needs kicked to the curb. I hope he is good on tradition. Coming from LaCrosse which used to be Burke's See he shouldnt be that bad. If memory serves the Institute of Christ the King has Churches in La Cross.
Or he can go preach the Gosepl to his neighbors *right* across the intersection of N. Van Buren and E. Wells from the diocesan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist -- the Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Center.  :sneaky:
Yes, we have ICKSP here in LaX diocese, as well as the Franciscian Friars of the Immaculate at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe who do a Latin Mass.  I dont think bishop is any foe of traditionalism.  Certianly not promoting it like Archbishop Burke...but he is a gem. 
(01-04-2010, 09:57 PM)Bonifacius Wrote: [ -> ]Or he can go preach the Gosepl to his neighbors *right* across the intersection of N. Van Buren and E. Wells from the diocesan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist -- the Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Center.   :sneaky:

Betcha that after Vatican II they dug a tunnel connecting the two.
The ICRSS has parishes all over Wisconsin, including Milwaukee.
Pages: 1 2