FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Tithing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My wife and I have always been very hit and miss with tithing for various reason and we've decided to try and change that this year. So my question is how do you tithe?
I know the word implies 10%, but some do more and some do less for various reasons.

Do you give your tithe to your parish only or do you split it up between your parish and other charitable causes? I know of several people who give half to their parish and the other half to various religious orders, trustworthy catholic charities, etc.

Also, do you tithe gross or net? We've always tithed net pay cause all the taxes you pay go principally toward what can be considered charity or the common good. Maybe I'm just cheep, but the priest that helped us with our pre-canna told us it could be done either way. I don't want to open a can of worms over the gross vs. net deal.
I can rarely give any money, so I give my time.

If you think about it, 10 percent of your time, given to your parish, is often times far more valuable than 10 percent of your income ... at least it'd be far more than 10 percent of my income.

All in all, since I work for my parish as well, outside of a bit of sleep, I probably give about 60-75 percent of my time to the parish, which from my experience is far more valuable than a couple of thousand dollars.
I'd really like to start giving to an order or Catholic charity, so if you know of some good causes, please share.

And I do after taxes (net income). I wouldn't rely on the charitable/common good assumption with the money thats stolen in taxes, it doesn't go where you think it does.
(01-05-2010, 06:47 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]I can rarely give any money, so I give my time.

If you think about it, 10 percent of your time, given to your parish, is often times far more valuable than 10 percent of your income ... at least it'd be far more than 10 percent of my income.

All in all, since I work for my parish as well, outside of a bit of sleep, I probably give about 60-75 percent of my time to the parish, which from my experience is far more valuable than a couple of thousand dollars.
Good point! I never thought to include non monetary forms of tithing. I'm sure your parish is blessed to have your service.
I loved this part:
(01-05-2010, 06:47 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]at least it'd be far more than 10 percent of my income.
LOL
(01-05-2010, 06:48 PM)DeusVult Wrote: [ -> ]I'd really like to start giving to an order or Catholic charity, so if you know of some good causes, please share.

And I do after taxes (net income). I wouldn't rely on the charitable/common good assumption with the money that's stolen in taxes, it doesn't go where you think it does.
Yeah, I think more evil than good is done with my tax dollars, but paying police, firemen, paving streets, providing unemployment benefits, etc. are noble services.
Not to put down tithing, but stewardship is a more Catholic idea. The giving of time, talents, and treasures.

When we don't have treasures to give, we can donate more of our time and talents to the Church.
PS: I voted "sporadic"
(01-05-2010, 06:55 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Not to put down tithing, but stewardship is a more Catholic idea. The giving of time, talents, and treasures.

When we don't have treasures to give, we can donate more of our time and talents to the Church.
I totally agree, but the point of this poll is to help me see what other people are doing as far as dollars and cents. I DO want to hear about the giving of time and talents though! I think it's great for people to understand that if they can't give monetarily to the mission of the church they can give of their time (or even better they can do both since being Catholic is more than just writing a check).
(01-05-2010, 06:48 PM)DeusVult Wrote: [ -> ]I'd really like to start giving to an order or Catholic charity, so if you know of some good causes, please share.

And I do after taxes (net income). I wouldn't rely on the charitable/common good assumption with the money thats stolen in taxes, it doesn't go where you think it does.

Sorry this is off-topic but I just had to say I love your avatar.  I LOVE bears!
Human Life International. http://hli.org/

Fr. Euteneuer runs it right now - he's the priest who stood up to that loudmouth Sean Hannity and told him he'd withhold Communion from him! Very orthodox priest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4