FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Annoying dream
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
For the past few weeks now I've had this same kind of dream, not the same situations each time, but the same idea. They are sexually related and seem so real sometimes, and they wont stop. I don't know if they are demonic in nature or just my own mind. I wish they would stop though...everytime I wake up from them I feel so gross and disgusted with myself. I think I might have a bit of a demonic oppression, but Im not sure...what do you guys think?
Put holy water on your forehead and say prayers before you go to sleep. Maybe even read the Bible for about 15 minutes, too. Then, the bad dreams will stop.
Listen to the "Spiritual Warfare" series here:
http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html

Pray the prayers of the Auxilium Christianorum. Here:
http://www.auxiliumchristianorum.org/
Sometimes we remember dreams because we are sleeping too lightly. Do some heavy exercise during the day and have a turkey sandwich. The exercise will relieve the kind of anxieties that contribute to excess dreaming and the turkey contains natural sedatives (hence the napping on Thanksgiving, ever notice?)

Demonic oppression looks for our physical weaknesses, and so doing this alongside prayer and sacramentals can help.  Repeated patterns in dreams are often connected to our own minds, too, and so you should pray for enlightenment as to what is going on in your life that would give you this kind of worry. It doesn't mean there is sin in your life, it might just be an unconscious worry or even physical change. Pray to your patron saint, who is your spiritual "best friend", for an answer.
Is there any particular kind of literature you are reading, music you are listening to, or television you are watching that has this particular kind of imagery in it?

I do not put a ton of stock into modern psychology but it seems to work in this regard. Whenever I listened or watched something sexual but was not thinking about sexual things myself, I still dreamt about it. (That might just be because I'm a guy though). But when I stopped the dreams stopped. Littlerose's recommendation of exercise is also good as well.

Any particular prayers or meditation you do in the evening before going to bed? It always helps to have one's last thought when they rest be God, as well as their first thoughts when they rise.
(01-06-2010, 01:35 PM)littlerose Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes we remember dreams because we are sleeping too lightly. Do some heavy exercise during the day and have a turkey sandwich. The exercise will relieve the kind of anxieties that contribute to excess dreaming and the turkey contains natural sedatives (hence the napping on Thanksgiving, ever notice?)
Eating a lot makes one tired; not turkey. The tryptophan in turkey is not that powerful or unique.

I get tired at Thanksgiving and I do not eat any turkey, but I eat a lot of other stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about demonic oppression unless you really, really think that's what's going on. Seems to me that this sort of thing is just part of being human. Pray before bed and pray when you wake up. Remember that you aren't really in control of these dreams and thus they aren't sinful.
(01-06-2010, 01:46 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any particular kind of literature you are reading, music you are listening to, or television you are watching that has this particular kind of imagery in it?

I do not put a ton of stock into modern psychology but it seems to work in this regard. Whenever I listened or watched something sexual but was not thinking about sexual things myself, I still dreamt about it. (That might just be because I'm a guy though). But when I stopped the dreams stopped. Littlerose's recommendation of exercise is also good as well.

Any particular prayers or meditation you do in the evening before going to bed? It always helps to have one's last thought when they rest be God, as well as their first thoughts when they rise.

When we have images around but are not consciously thinking about them ,they are actually more likely to insert themesleves into the unconscious and come back in dreams. We are always receiving input even when we are not paying attention to it. That is why it is also good to make sure one's environment includes an  image of our Holy Mother, Jesus, and our Patron Saint.
(01-06-2010, 01:04 PM)SalveMater Wrote: [ -> ]For the past few weeks now I've had this same kind of dream, not the same situations each time, but the same idea. They are sexually related and seem so real sometimes, and they wont stop. I don't know if they are demonic in nature or just my own mind. I wish they would stop though...everytime I wake up from them I feel so gross and disgusted with myself. I think I might have a bit of a demonic oppression, but Im not sure...what do you guys think?

They could be based on your actual body. Arousal during sleep is common and it can effect dreams like any other physical sensation.

I have had similar runs of dreams (although, not sexual, but very bizarre disturbing dreams which seem real) that used to repeat with no known cause.

I do not have the answers, but I may have a few tips for reducing their impact on your life:

* Do not sleep in.
* Be careful what you read/watch/listen to before bed.
* Specifically read/watch/listen to something which will have a different effect.
* Pray before going to bed/before going to sleep.
(01-06-2010, 01:49 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't worry too much about demonic oppression unless you really, really think that's what's going on. Seems to me that this sort of thing is just part of being human. Pray before bed and pray when you wake up. Remember that you aren't really in control of these dreams and thus they aren't sinful.

Well said.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5