FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Miracle Man of Montreal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had the pleasure of visiting the Oratory of St. Joseph in October 2007 with a Tertiary Sister and Franciscan Brother.  Frere Paul did not take us upstairs because he said we would be saddened by the 'modernizing' of it but we went to Mass and spent time in the crypt church and at the tomb of Blessed Andre.  We had an incredible few days of church touring in Montreal and with Frere Paul being bi-lingual we easily made our way around. Sister and I stayed with the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.  Anyway, it was a pleasure to see the little church that Bl. Andre had built and then to see how his love for St. Joseph bloomed into that grand Oratory seen for miles around. It is said that over 10,000 claims of healing were made at the hands of Bl Andre during his lifetime.
Enjoy!

[Image: Blessed+Andre.jpg]

http://salesianity.blogspot.com/2009/01/...andre.html

Wednesday, January 6, 2010  Saint of the day: Blessed Brother Andre

[size=10pt][size=10pt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6AYehGNJs  for a 2 minute video[/size][/size]

Today the Church remembers Blessed Andre Bessette. His story is a remarkable one and he is a great example of faith and devotion that we might imitate today!

Alfred Bessette was born in Canada on August 9, 1845. He entered the Congregation of Holy Cross in 1870, taking the name of Brother Andre. He was assigned to be doorkeeper at the community's high school in Montreal. There he fostered devotion to Saint Joseph among the sick and otherwise afflicted and soon became known as the "Miracle Man" of Montreal.

With ever bigger crowds of the poor and needy gathering in front of the school. it soon brought protests from the students' parents and some community members. Bro. Andre, aware of this problem, asked in 1904 to build a small chapel on the hill beyond the school. This was the small beginning of the Oratory of St. Joseph that now stands there.

Bro. Andre died on January 6, 1937. His burial had to be postponed for several days until the last of more than three million people were able to pass by his bier and pay him homage. He was beatified by Pope John Paul II on May 23, 1982.
To learn more about Blessed Andre please look here!

1 minute video 

:jester:
(01-06-2010, 02:25 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]From the title, I was pretty sure this was going to be a thread about fellow-Fisheater anthony.

:jester:

:laughing: