FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Tithing vs. Charity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Could giving a substantial amount of money to another Catholic who is struggling qualify towards one's tithe? 
Yes, yes, yes. Being a good Catholic is sooo much more than just writing a check. If you are not in a position of being able to contribute dollars (or even if you are) giving time is a great way to fulfill what I understand to be our obligation of tithing.
I was just wondering if the tithe, strictly speaking, must go to the Catholic Church rather than a Catholic individual or Catholic charity.  I agree, too, about the giving of time, but I personally think of that as separate from the tithe since tithe means tenth and I would have no idea how to derive a calculation. 
Someone else can help more than I, but I think that actual 'tithing' in the strictest since is a jewish thing. I'm not sure that giving 1/10th of your cash to the church is a church teaching? I think we are called to support the work of the church, check the six precepts of the church here http://fisheaters.com/lists.html#13
I'm (my family and I) trying to step it up to 10% cause I feel that even though I'm the only one that works outside the home and we are struggling, we could be more generous. God has richly blessed us after all. I don't think you need to worry about being audited (St. Blacksuit the Archangel, head of the Heavenly IRS LOL), just give what you feel you can (then a little more as God can't be outdone in generosity) and thank God for the grace He has given you to prompt you to be charitable.
That's my take on it, I'm kinda simple so you may want to talk to a more learned member?
We are to support the Church financially, but there is no requirement of 10%.
The Catholic Encyclopedia was not of much help in this matter:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14741b.htm

I have read in several instances of the faithful donating 5% to the Church and the other 5% to charity (presumably a Catholic charity). 
I mentioned in a previous post on tithing that our family tithes. I actually got interested and started looking into it because I enjoy listening to a local protestant talk radio show that comes on in our area.

I'm not a protestant. I don't follow protestant theology. But because I know that the Catholic faith is rooted in the scriptures I was interested in the biblical basis of tithing, and there's a lot of verses! So I asked my priest about it.

He confirmed what I thought ... that tithing 10% is not required by the Catholic Church, but there is a strong biblical basis for giving that amount and it is laudable for Catholics to support their parish in such a way. Our local Archdiocesan appeal recommends 10%, with 5% to the local parish, 3% to the diocese, and 2% to other charities of choice.

He also reminded me that we are always welcome to give more than 10%.  LOL
My question is less about whether or not tithing is canonically mandated than it is about if charitable contributions, even to individuals, fulfills the tithing obligation
(01-07-2010, 11:44 PM)Miquelot Wrote: [ -> ]My question is less about whether or not tithing is canonically mandated than it is about if charitable contributions, even to individuals, fulfills the tithing obligation
Yes, I don't think it matters to whom the dollars go, assuming it is a good solid charity. I would say that our first priority is to our local church (parish, mass center, diocese, etc.). After supporting your local church (maybe half of your tithe?) then feel free to support charities, religious orders, or individual you feel are in need.

Our family usually splits our tithe between our parish, various diocese causes, and religious orders that a solid and traditional (either traditionalist or actually friendly to the traditions of the church).
I've never spoken to a SSPX priest or attended a SSPX mass, but I have given to the order financially because I believe they are doing good to many souls (even if I don't agree 100% with everything they say).
(01-07-2010, 11:44 PM)Miquelot Wrote: [ -> ]My question is less about whether or not tithing is canonically mandated than it is about if charitable contributions, even to individuals, fulfills the tithing obligation

If all of your money is going to charities (whether group or individual persons) other than your church, then you may technically be fulfillling the 10% rule, but you are not following the precept to help provide for the needs of the church.

The money to help pay the priests, keep the lights on, etc., has to come from somewhere!
Pages: 1 2