FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The next pope r.e. Liturgy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Do you think the next Pope will continue the reform of reform and attempts at promoting tradition as the current Holy Father has or will we get a liberal kumbaya Social Justice and liturgy second Papacy? This really worries me.
Of course, it depends on the constitution of the College of Cardinals. I tend not to follow appointments very diligently, but I do hope the Holy Father is packing it with traditionally-minded clerics.
I would only be glad to see the current Pope give his full endorsement on tradition/traditional movements before departing.
At the very least, I hope Archbishop Burke is made a cardinal. 

Hopefully with this incident (thumbing his nose at the Bosnian bishop), Cardinal Schoenborn (sp?) will no longer be seen as the favorite in the next conclave.
Frankly if we get another liberal middle man I'll be past caring.

I'm hoping God destroys Rome and chastises the world in such a way that nobody is left in any doubt that the Church has been run by a bunch of heretics and apostates for the last 50 years.
When I was younger I always used to think it would be totally wicked to be Pope.
Maybe its a sign that one day I will...yenno, "Wayne always love hockey as a kid'...will be "little LTC always loved the papacy as a kid"

don't worry FE, if it ever comes about, I'll lay some smackdown  :laughing:
i think that we should trust Pope Benedict to do all he can. he certainly knows how important the next conclave will be and he said long ago that he expected the Church to be smaller in the future.  i think he wants the cafeteria catholics to either choose the Church's way or another sect down the highway, which will make the Church smaller for a time.  does anyone remember the rest of what he said -- was it 'smaller and stronger'?  'smaller and more devout'?  if not, i'll do a search after i get some sleep.

remember how we fretted that he wasn't ever going to issue the motu proprio, but he did.  now, he hasn't yet told the bishops "you don't get to say 'not in my diocese' " but i think he has plans for changes we'll like. the part of his Mass of the Epiphany that I saw was all in Latin and those who received Communion from him all knelt and all received on the tongue, with a paten held under their chins.  

pray that he lives long enough to accomplish a lot more good things.

The liturgy is not the primary problem of the Church. Some of the more important problems are:

- the concept of the people's Church, as is it opposed to the hierarchical, jurisdictional Church

- how the Church as the light and salt of the world should respond the globalization of the world.

- the conflict in the sexual morality between the Church and the civil law

- the lack of vocations and the priestly fomation.

I expect that the new pope will concentrate on one of this problems. This is fortunate because this also will mean that the reform of the reform what pope Benedict XVI started will go by its own inertia.
(01-08-2010, 08:35 AM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]The liturgy is not the primary problem of the Church. Some of the more important problems are:

- the concept of the people's Church, as is it opposed to the hierarchical, jurisdictional Church

- how the Church as the light and salt of the world should respond the globalization of the world.

- the conflict in the sexual morality between the Church and the civil law

- the lack of vocations and the priestly fomation.

I expect that the new pope will concentrate on one of this problems. This is fortunate because this also will mean that the reform of the reform what pope Benedict XVI started will go by its own inertia.

You serious?
The liturgy is what the Church is all about, if the one moment we meet Christ Himself face to face is being slaughtered, then what could be more important? Not to be offensive, but when people say the liturgy is less of a problem then any other possible problem, no matter how misguided that problem may be, they're wrong. The liturgy is the basis of our entire life, and every problem you just listed is a problem because our liturgy has disintegrated...without a proper, holy liturgy we're nothing....our liturgy these days is crud, so problems spring up, like those you just mentioned.
The liturgy is one of the means by which those problems will be fixed.  Where else do Catholics go every Sunday?  A good liturgy with a edifying homily can change minds and hearts.  Flashy youtube videos won't do it, and the media will filter out and distort anything edifying the Pope has to say just as it did with his homily that got all our panties in a bunch.

The Mass is what forms future priests, teaches the faithful, etc.  The Mass needs to be fixed as a priority.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8