FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Our Bronze Serpents must be destroyed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was reminded of the story from Numbers 21, where God had Moses fashion a bronze serpent so that any snake-bitten Israelites who looked upon it would not die of snake poison.  Moses would hold it up, a Jewish person would look at it if he were bitten by a poisonous snake, and he'd live.  One of God's many gifts to the Israelites. 

The bronze serpent at that time had become a triumphant symbol for the Israelites.  It showed God's triumph against his old enemy, the Serpent, and it was a triumph against the pagan idolatry of its time, for there were many in those days who would worship other gods and deities.  God had conquered His old enemy, and to show everyone this, the serpent was used as a sign of His victory.

Later, of course, the Jews began to worship the bronze serpent staff.  And so, it was destroyed.  What had once been a sign of God's victory was transformed into an occultic deviation from His glory.  It was considered a sort of deity, and people burned incense to it.  They named it Nehushtan. 

God fearing Hezekiah would not have such nonsense, and acting as the king that he was, king Hezekiah had the high places torn down, and the bronze serpent destroyed. 

Now....we have our own bronze serpents.  In the past, the Church has absorbed other cultures and their pagan symbols, holding them up in a tradition that mimicks what the Israelites did with the bronze serpent.  I am talking about Christmas (though, there are plenty of other examples).  The Church conquered barbarian Europe, and transformed their winter rituals into seasonal celebrations of Christ. 

But those same Christmas traditions are becoming the object of worship.  They are the bronze snake, receiving the incense.  Think of the conventional Christmas images that were once pagan, and you will understand what this means.  The first thing that comes to my mind is Christmas trees. 

In an earlier post, fisheaters were suggesting different ways of adoring Christ in their Christmas traditions.  I believe this is the way to go for Catholics who want to hold onto what's true when it comes to Christ's birth.

What exactly do you think must be destroyed? What is being worshiped?
(01-10-2010, 03:30 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly do you think must be destroyed? What is being worshiped?

Here is a link to an earlier post in which we discussed Christmas celebrations. 

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3426489.msg33199412.html#msg33199412

A lot of our annoyances were listed there. 
(01-10-2010, 03:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a link to an earlier post in which we discussed Christmas celebrations. 

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3426489.msg33199412.html#msg33199412

Most of the annoyances were done by other people, not us Catholics.

It isn't a Bronze Serpent if other people are doing it. It must be worshiped by the Faithful. What exactly are the Faithful doing wrong?
(01-10-2010, 04:02 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't a Bronze Serpent if other people are doing it. It must be worshiped by the Faithful. What exactly are the Faithful doing wrong?

Are we Catholics not trapped in the same cycle of Christmas ritual that our secular cohorts are trapped in?  The shopping?  The fake sentimentality?  The cheery music that doesn't mean anything anymore?

Hasn't the worship of Christmas consumerism swept over us Catholics, too? 
(01-10-2010, 04:24 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]Are we Catholics not trapped in the same cycle of Christmas ritual that our secular cohorts are trapped in?  The shopping?  The fake sentimentality?  The cheery music that doesn't mean anything anymore?

Hasn't the worship of Christmas consumerism swept over us Catholics, too? 

Has it?
Laramie, your argument sounds like something I'd read in the Watchtower. Catholics aren't worshiping Christmas trees. Really, I don't feel "trapped" by the pagan or secular trimmings of the season.. I like the cheery music.. and my sentimentality is never fake.

We are challenged to bring Christ to a sinful world; it's the same challenge for every Christian of every era. Consumerism has always been around, and people are converted anyway. But I can't let consumerism get me down. I work in a CATHOLIC Church Supply Store on Saturdays, and we also mark down all Christmas items half-price the day after Christmas. There's no evil motive involved. There's no plot to take Christ out of Christmas. We just want to sell as much merchandise as we can before it's shipped back to Michigan for another year. 

- Lisa
(01-10-2010, 03:39 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2010, 03:30 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly do you think must be destroyed? What is being worshiped?

Here is a link to an earlier post in which we discussed Christmas celebrations. 

Speaking of annoyances, why didn't you just continue with that thread?  Why start a new thread on the same topic? 
The only "bronze serpent" that must be destroyed is the new man-centered religion.
You know what--forget it.  I'm an idiot.  Just absolutely stupid.  Move on with something else, please.

Pages: 1 2 3 4