FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Edmonton Parents fight to keep their child on life support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Doctors plan to remove the life support system this afternoon, Wednesday.
Personally I'd like to phone the hospital, e-mail,  show my support or whatever. Don't know if anyone here has any experience in this type of thing but I'd like any pointers if you have any.
Im posting some numbers and info about the hospital below the article.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/...thics.html

CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: January 18, 2010 9:38 PMParents to fight son's removal from life support

An Alberta couple is seeking a court order to prevent an Edmonton hospital from taking their infant son off life-support.

Isaiah May was born in Rocky Mountain House, Alta., in October.

Parents Rebecka and Isaac May want a judge to force Edmonton's Stollery Children's Hospital to keep him on a ventilator.

The hospital plans to remove the ventilator on Wednesday.

In a court affidavit, Rebecka May said her son was born after a difficult, 40-hour labour. At birth the umbilical cord wrapped around the baby's neck, depriving him of oxygen. Isaiah was transferred to the children's hospital where he has been in the neo-natal intensive care unit.

In a letter dated Jan. 13 the clinical director for the unit Dr. Ernest Phillipos said Isaiah suffered irreversible brain damage and there is no hope of recovery. He said the treating physicians believe removing the ventilator is medically reasonable, ethically responsible and appropriate.

But Isaiah's parents disagree, saying in their affidavit the boy has proven his doctors wrong by surviving beyond a few days, continuing to grow and being able to move his limbs.

The Mays said in the court documents that Isaiah is a living child with normal heart function and normal blood pressure and that the hospital's decision is contrary to their religious views. They said they don't believe all reasonable options have been explored or that all the necessary tests have been done.

The Mays have been told mechanical ventilation support for the boy will be removed on Wednesday afternoon.

While none of the statements in the affidavit have been proven in court, the couple plans to ask a judge to issue an injunction barring the removal of any life support equipment.

Stollery Children's Hospital (full contact information here http://www.pris.bc.ca/dinohelps/Edmonton...spital.htm

The Stollery is Western Canada's referral centre for pediatric cardiac surgery and a national leader in organ transplantation, with a referral base of more than 1.7 million.  The Stollery cares for children from northern and central Alberta, as well as parts of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut.

Who's Who
Dr. Terry Klassen
Chair, Department of Pediatrics &
Regional Clinical Program Director, Child Health

Contact Information:
Aberhart Centre #1
Room 8213
11402 University Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T6G 2J3
phone: (780) 407-7084
email: terry.klassen@ualberta.ca

Dawn Wrightson, RN, MSc
Senior Operating Officer, Child Health

Contact Information:
WMC 4H2.36
8440 - 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta TYG 2B7
phone: (780) 407-8655
email: dwrights@cha.ab.ca

Deb Gordon
Chief Operating Officer,
University of Alberta Hospital and Stollery Children's Hospital

Contact Information:

WMC 1F1
8440 - 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta TYG 2B7
Phone: (780) 407-8888

This is an important story, but I'm not sure the length of this is helpful.

You should reconsider.
Did you mean the length of the post. Yeah, im working on the fly. Unfortunately won't be able to do any thing else till kids go to bed.

(01-19-2010, 06:05 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]This is an important story, but I'm not sure the length of this is helpful.

You should reconsider.

WTF?

It is perfectly alright. It had a good summary and was properly cited:

Quote:Doctors plan to remove the life support system this afternoon, Wednesday.
Personally I'd like to phone the hospital, e-mail,  show my support or whatever. Don't know if anyone here has any experience in this type of thing but I'd like any pointers if you have any.
Im posting some numbers and info about the hospital below the article.
(01-19-2010, 06:12 AM)artificial person Wrote: [ -> ]Did you mean the length of the post. Yeah, im working on the fly. Unfortunately won't be able to do any thing else till kids go to bed.
It is fine; he is just being...something not good.
Actually when I first posted the the hospitals info it was a really long post. Shortly after I got rid of the rest and just left a link for the hospitals numbers, his comment was before the edit.
In a letter dated Jan. 13 the clinical director for the unit Dr. Ernest Phillipos said Isaiah suffered irreversible brain damage and there is no hope of recovery. He said the treating physicians believe removing the ventilator is medically reasonable, ethically responsible and appropriate.

Ernest Phillipos
Clinical Professor
NICU
Email: ephillip@cha.ab.ca
Tel: (780) 407-6187
Fax: (780) 407-3030

I called this number but it said the number is out of service. i'll have to send him an e-mail.
Also called the hospital, the woman I talked to told me to call patient relations 780-342 8080 if I wanted to voice my concern.
She also said she couldn't believe that they would take away life support against the parents wishes. She was very polite and helpful.
Now I'm phoning patient relations.

10 minutes later, left a message with patient relations. I may just go down the list and phone everyone in the hospital who has a phone the two people who I talked to didn't have a clue about the story.
Looks like they are letting him stay on life support. I just wonder if they would have decided this way if the CBC wouldn't have televised the story.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/...moved.html

January 19, 2010
Edmonton baby to stay on ventilator, court rules
By CBC News

An Alberta Court of Queen's Bench justice has ordered an Edmonton hospital not to remove a ventilator that is keeping a three-month-old infant alive until a court hearing can be held on his medical condition.
An Alberta Court of Queen's Bench justice has ordered an Edmonton hospital not to remove a ventilator that is keeping a three-month-old infant alive until a court hearing can be held on his medical condition.

Physicians at the Stollery Childrens' Hospital had planned to take Isaiah May off life support on Wednesday because they believe he has no chance of recovering from brain damage he suffered at birth. But his parents, Rebecka and Isaac May of Rocky Mountain House, Alta., went before a judge on Tuesday seeking a 90-day injunction preventing the hospital from removing the ventilator.

The judge ordered the hospital to maintain the status quo until a full hearing can be held on the baby's care. The lawyer for the physicians did not object to keeping Isaiah on a ventilator until that hearing takes place.

The lawyers for both sides will appear before Justice Michelle Crighton on Jan. 27 to say whether both sides have agreed on an independent expert to assess the baby's condition.

"It's been very stressful. It's been very hard and very challenging. But every time I hold my son and I look in his eyes, it gives me the strength to face another day," Rebecka May said to reporters outside the Edmonton courthouse.

Isaiah May was deprived of oxygen at birth after the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. Doctors have determined he has suffered irreversible brain damage and there is no chance he will recover.

In a letter dated Jan. 13, the clinical director for the neonatal intensive care unit told the Mays that Isaiah's physicians believe that removing the child from the ventilator is medically reasonable, ethically responsible and appropriate.

But the Mays hope that someone might be able to help Isaiah.

"We wouldn't let this go on forever but right now ? we want to seek other medical attention and do what's best for Isaiah right now," Isaac May said.

Rebecka May said her son is improving and has already proved the medical experts wrong a number of times.

"He is doing everything they said that he would not do. Every day he does something new. So that helps us to fight," she said. "His eyes dilate. He opens his eyes. He moves his limbs. He's growing. He's gaining weight. He's living. They told us he would never do any of that."

Both sides will now try to find an independent medical expert to assess Isaiah's condition. Another hearing could be held to discuss whether the ventilator should be removed, depending on the outcome of that assessment.
(01-19-2010, 08:13 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2010, 06:12 AM)artificial person Wrote: [ -> ]Did you mean the length of the post. Yeah, im working on the fly. Unfortunately won't be able to do any thing else till kids go to bed.
It is fine; he is just being...something not good.

It wasn't fine before.

Rosarium not knowing what he's talking about much?
How much did you donated for the cost of keeping him alive

Around the world 25 million children die every year w/o childhood vaccination. It would cost 2.5 billion to resolve the problem, provide vaccination and save the life a significant number of them. What do we do? What do we should do?
Pages: 1 2