FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is a quote from a post in the apologetics forum. I am interested in this posters question. Does anyone have any answers?  I believe it should have been moved to this forum.

Are altar servers required at a low mass in the EF Form?  What happens if there were none? What are the rules so to speak? this applies for public Masses.
christmasisgreat Wrote:Are altar servers required at a low mass in the EF Form?  What happens if there were none? What are the rules so to speak? this applies for public Masses.

Then the priest carries on by himself. It's not the end of the world. It's good to have an altar severs, though, as they represent the rest of the Church who aren't present for Mass.
(01-27-2010, 01:20 AM)christmasisgreat Wrote: [ -> ]Are altar servers required at a low mass in the EF Form?  What happens if there were none? What are the rules so to speak? this applies for public Masses.

I was present many time on Mass without altar server in the traditional times (there were multiple masses on the same time at the different side altars) Sometimes an adult stepped in, sometimes not. The little vases with wine and water were set to the side of the altar. The priest recited the answers and served by himself.

The private Mass w/o any attendance was banished after 1970, but as possibility revived aging by the Summorum Pontificium
They'll hand you the patten and to hold under your chin. Then either you hand it back after you've received Our Lord, or else you hand it to the next person beside you waiting to receive. I've seen it done both ways, depending on the priest I guess.
I saw a movie about the life of Bl. Charles de Foucauld. When he went to live as a hermit in the desert to preach to Muslims and whatnot, he could not find anyone with the courage to serve Mass for him. He had to apply to the Pope (I think St. Pius X) for a dispensation to offer Mass without a server. Receiving the dispensation was a great joy for him. Is this a plausible circumstance for that time period?
I believe Mass without at least one server is forbidden.
(01-27-2010, 11:52 AM)AlanF Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Mass without at least one server is forbidden.

No it's not. Priests said Mass all the time by themselves.

(01-27-2010, 01:52 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2010, 11:52 AM)AlanF Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Mass without at least one server is forbidden.

No it's not. Priests said Mass all the time by themselves.

For some reason we seem to be having two threads on this topic at the same time.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...2.new.html

So I'll just repeat what I said there and we can move this here.

---------------------------------------------------

I think in times of necessity it's allowed, normally, however, it's forbidden.

According to Wikipedia, the 1917 Code of Canon Law says "A priest is not to celebrate Mass without a server to assist him and make the responses." (Canon 813) I'm not sure what the Novus Ordo rules say but that's rather irrelevant.

I was also looking at the SSPX GB District Newsletter the other day and there's this:

Quote:The above cartoon refers to the fact that it is normally forbidden to celebrate Mass without a server, or at least somebody to make the responses. Hence an impromptu visit from the local bishop would doubtless be an occasion of embarrassment to the priest discovered breaking the rules. I remember a priest friend describing how on one such occasion he was dismayed, when a server presented himself halfway through his server-less Mass  . . . in the person of none other than Archbishop Lefebvre.

I've also read it in other places but I can't remember where.
Then you have this...

http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/faq/mass-w...erver.html

MASS WITHOUT AN ALTAR SERVER
1.  When a priest is celebrating Mass without a server, what changes are made?

During the Prayer’s at the foot of the Altar, the server's "Confiteor" is omitted. After the "Confiteor" of the priest, the celebrant says "Miseratur nostri..." and then "Indulgentiam..." and the rest of the prayers as usual.

Throughout the Mass the priest says all the responses that the server would normally render (i.e. "Amen", "Et cum spiritu tuo," etc.)

The priest has to transfer the Missal himself to the Gospel side before the "Munda cor meum..." and back to the Epistle corner prior to the Communion verse. When so doing, the priest simply moves the book, walking on the predella, and bowing before the tabernacle or altar cross.

That's probably for the times where it's neccessary (ie if no one present knows how to serve Mass) to have no server.

Other that that, it seems it's forbidden.
Pages: 1 2