FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Haiti in retrospect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ts;dr
lol
(01-28-2010, 01:44 PM)dedalus28 Wrote: [ -> ]http://truerestoration.blogspot.com/2010...ch-us.html

Quote: Ultimately there’s nothing wrong with contributing to help those in desperate need. I just think those people are a lot closer than the Caribbean. They are next door. They are in your city. And they’d love your help. You owe it to them. First, because you’re going to make a bigger difference in their lives than your donation won’t ever make in Haiti. Secondly, because whether we believe it or not, charity really does begin at home.

So what is the solution? NOT to send money or packages? We know charity begins at home -- "begins" being the operative word here. It suggests that when we first love those closest to us, we are then better able to reach out to our neighbors, both near and far.

We always contribute to the poor of the local community, but my local community isn't devastated by a massive earthquake right now.

You are saying that the $20 I dropped in the collection basket two weeks ago for "Haitian Relief" could have better been spent in the parish poor box? My $20 alone may amount to nothing but 20 bucks, but if every U.S. Catholic who went to church that Sunday threw in 20 bucks for Haiti it amounts to millions. Surely that will make a dent. Charity begins at home, then extends itself to the greater community, and then extends itself worldwide. There is no limit to how far charity will grow. That's how I see it. 

- Lisa
(01-28-2010, 02:08 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: Ultimately there’s nothing wrong with contributing to help those in desperate need. I just think those people are a lot closer than the Caribbean. They are next door. They are in your city. And they’d love your help. You owe it to them. First, because you’re going to make a bigger difference in their lives than your donation won’t ever make in Haiti. Secondly, because whether we believe it or not, charity really does begin at home.

So what is the solution? NOT to send money or packages? We know charity begins at home -- "begins" being the operative word here. It suggests that when we first love those closest to us, we are then better able to reach out to our neighbors, both near and far.

We always contribute to the poor of the local community, but my local community isn't devastated by a massive earthquake right now.

You are saying that the $20 I dropped in the collection basket two weeks ago for "Haitian Relief" could have better been spent in the parish poor box? My $20 alone may amount to nothing but 20 bucks, but if every U.S. Catholic who went to church that Sunday threw in 20 bucks for Haiti it amounts to millions. Surely that will make a dent. Charity begins at home, then extends itself to the greater community, and then extends itself worldwide. There is no limit to how far charity will grow. That's how I see it. 

- Lisa

Absolutely. 

(01-28-2010, 02:06 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2010, 01:44 PM)dedalus28 Wrote: [ -> ]http://truerestoration.blogspot.com/2010...ch-us.html

That's right, listen to Boots.  Applause