FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vendetta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Based on most of the reserach I have done into medieval judicial practices, and morlaity/ethics surrounding this issue, it appears that vendetta is not only acceptable for a Catholic, but it is furthermore a very Catholic practice.
Now, I am of course referring to vendetta in the true sense of the word, and under specific circumstances which would justify it - particularly matters of honour.
Modernism has  condemned the concept, and written it off. No surprises there.
Anyways, I thought I'd have a look and see what sort of criteria people in the tank feel would justify a true vendetta? And what sort of satisfaction would one require in today's world, given that the typical norm of days long past is somewhat frowned upon (lol frowned upon with life imprisonment!).
Also, I'm guessing some people will start to talk about how we should forgive and forget and all that, however in that regard forgiveness is noble but not always necessary, and sometmies true justice is required before somebody can move on enough to forgive and forget.
Gen 4:23 for I have slain a man to the wounding of myself, and a stripling to my own bruising. 24 Sevenfold vengeance shall be taken for Cain: but for Lamech seventy times sevenfold.

Exod 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Matt 5:38 You have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. 39 But I say to you not to resist evil: but if one strike thee on thy right cheek, turn to him also the other: 40 And if a man will contend with thee in judgment, and take away thy coat, let go thy cloak also unto him.

Matt 6:14 14 For if you will forgive men their offences, your heavenly Father will forgive you also your offences. 15 But if you will not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive you your offences.

You ar3e right. God does not forces anybody, the forgiveness is not 'necessary', only useful.

Well if anyone hurt me boy they will have to kill me to stop me!!!!
Prison is an afterthought to justice!
SIP SIP
If a man killed one of my family in cold blood I would certainly forgive him right before I slit his throat...justice and forgiveness are both satisfied.
This happens more than you would think amongst Southern hill folk with our clan mentality actually...but of course they are not Catholic.

pax
(01-29-2010, 07:52 PM)Arun Wrote: [ -> ]Based on most of the reserach I have done into medieval judicial practices, and morlaity/ethics surrounding this issue, it appears that vendetta is not only acceptable for a Catholic, but it is furthermore a very Catholic practice.
Now, I am of course referring to vendetta in the true sense of the word, and under specific circumstances which would justify it - particularly matters of honour.
Modernism has  condemned the concept, and written it off. No surprises there.
Anyways, I thought I'd have a look and see what sort of criteria people in the tank feel would justify a true vendetta? And what sort of satisfaction would one require in today's world, given that the typical norm of days long past is somewhat frowned upon (lol frowned upon with life imprisonment!).
Also, I'm guessing some people will start to talk about how we should forgive and forget and all that, however in that regard forgiveness is noble but not always necessary, and sometmies true justice is required before somebody can move on enough to forgive and forget.

I really don't know what you mean by vendetta since you don't cite any examples of your research.  I mean, thanks a lot for specifying "true" vendetta without even bothering to define it for us.  Not everything that was done in the Middle Ages was approved by the Church.  Duelling was condemned explicitly by the Church.  If that is wrong, and it is, then I don't see how vendetta can be good. 

Oh, and you provide neither evidence nor examples of when foregiveness is not necessary. 
Romans 12:19  Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Deuteronomy 32:35 'Vengeance is Mine, and retribution, In due time their foot will slip; For the day of their calamity is near, And the impending things are hastening upon them.'

Proverbs 20:22 Do not say, "I will repay evil"; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you.

1 Thessalonians 4:6 and that no man transgress and defraud his brother in the matter because the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we also told you before and solemnly warned you.

I'm not sure the source, or if I'm remembering this right, but here's a little food for thought (and discussion):

Matt 5:39 is very specific about which cheek.  If a man strikes you, assuming use of his right hand, on your right cheek, he would have had to do it from behind (or at least the side).  This is a dishonorable thing for him to do.  (Likewise, a strike with the left hand, or a backhanded strike, would be dishonorable.)  By turning the other cheek, one is turning to face the attacker.  If he wishes a fair and honorable fight, give him the opportunity, but don't lower yourself by returning the cheap shots or getting enraged over them.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but there doesn't seem to be a prohibition on returning blows if he takes a swing at the second cheek...
Yeah, after all, what were Jesus' last words? Weren't they something like, "Thy eternal vengeance on them, though they know not what they do"?

Or was that from some other gospel?
I have never seen this idea supported, in fact quite the opposite. In fact, in his encyclical condemning dueling, Pope Leo XIII explains and applies the principles which rule out a vendetta, especially for "honor."

http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_le13po.htm

Also, authority has been given by God to those who rule to execute justice and exact retribution. We do not have the authority to take it into our own hands.

Pages: 1 2 3 4