FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confused: a priest with a child?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I went to a NO mass this evening (I know, I know, but that's not the point of this post).  There was a guest priest celebrating and he said in his homily that he has been a priest for 36 years.  Then, at the end of mass, after the announcements, he told us about his child who was hospitalized and almost died over Christmas due to some sort of viral infection and has now been diagnosed with a fatal mitochondrial disease.  He told us that the child (William) is back home now and being a child again.  He asked for prayers for William, as well as for himself and "Gram" (spelling?), who I guess is suffering from what he called "anticipatory grief."  He mentioned "Gram" a few times in context of "we" so I am thinking that "Gram" is William's mother.  He also said at one point that as a priest he is supposed to have all this faith and trust in God, but when it comes to his own it is a little more difficult.

My heart goes out to William and to his parents.  May God bless them with faith and hope and charity.

But, um, I don't understand the whole situation and was left scratching my head  Huh? and thinking about how confusing NO masses can be sometimes...

Perhaps the amusing part of it all is the thought I had as I was leaving the church:  "When I get home, I am definitely going to post this to the tank."  Heh...

Pax vobiscum,
Jesse
He could be an ex-Anglican priest who was ordained in the Catholic Church.  The Popes have given dispensation for married Anglican priests to be ordained and serve in the Latin Rite of the Church.

It's best not to guess, though.  Call the Rectory and ask what the deal is.
I know of a married (with children) ex-Anglican, who became a priest. The irony is that he was supremely traditional as an Anglican, but when he converted, he was assigned to a particularly liberal NO church. Imagine it was quite a mortification for him.
One of my parish Priests is an ex anglican who is married with adult children. He's very traditional and was instrumental in bringing back the latin Mass in our area.
Our Ukrainian priest has a son
Also it's unheard of for widowers whose children are grown up to be ordained. Doesn't sound like this was the case, but as we are seeing from some of the replies, there are different scenarios in which a Priest could have children.
The priest probably came into the Church from Anglicanism via the "Pastoral Provision" of the early 1980s.
(01-30-2010, 11:15 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]Our Ukrainian priest has a son

Is he Eastern Rite?  Or did he become a priest after being widowed?  This is rare, but it can happen with dispensations.
(01-30-2010, 11:23 PM)Christopher Wrote: [ -> ]Also it's unheard of for widowers whose children are grown up to be ordained. Doesn't sound like this was the case, but as we are seeing from some of the replies, there are different scenarios in which a Priest could have children.

True.  But I think in most cases this is because men who have grown children are generally too old to enter most orders.  I think the Jesuits take men who are older, but generally Jesuits aren't parish priests (sometimes they are though).
This wasn't in Chicago, was it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pfleger

Quote:Michael Louis Pfleger (born May 22, 1949)[1] is a Roman Catholic priest in Chicago, Illinois.
In 1981, Pfleger adopted an eight-year-old son, Lamar, in defiance of Cardinal John Patrick Cody, who had threatened to fire him if he went ahead with the adoption. Lamar graduated from college and got a job with Continental Airlines, which he lost after the September 11, 2001 attacks. He subsequently enlisted in the United States Army.[3] In 1992, Pfleger adopted another son, Beronti, who currently attends the University of Central Florida. In 1997, Pfleger became the foster father to Jarvis Franklin, who was killed by stray gunfire on May 30, 1998.[4]

Then there's a priest my mother knows who was married, raised 5 sons, retired, and started studying for the diaconate. His wife suddenly died. He switched over and ended up as a priest instead of a deacon. He's a grandfather, and he still wears his wedding band. He confuses a lot of people when he mentions things like "I recall one time years ago when my wife and I...."

I hear he gives tremendous homilies at weddings, by the way.

Pages: 1 2