FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Stations of the Cross in Latin (Via Crucis)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am looking for the Stations of the Cross in Latin to recite.  I have the Stabat Mater but not the Stations in Latin text.  Anyone know of a link  I can use?  Thank you.

Tommy
Why Latin? Wasn't that devotion originally written in Italian?
(02-12-2010, 07:45 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Why Latin? Wasn't that devotion originally written in Italian?

Possibly.  I'm not aware from whence it came.  Latin, for me anyway, has a certain angelic/celestial beauty about it.  It always seems more prayerful and befitting.  Just my humble opinion.
(02-12-2010, 07:45 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Why Latin? Wasn't that devotion originally written in Italian?

Because Latin is the universal language of the Universal Church and some people like praying in the universal language of Our Lord's Church.

I agee with Tommy. I always say the Rosary in Latin. If I can find the words in Latin for the Stations, I'll paste them in here (at least the link)
The Stations of the Cross are a very fluid devotion. Technically, nothing is really needed besides going from station and meditating on Christ's passion. When I pray the Stations by myself, I just read any meditations silently (I really like St. Alphonsus') and then say the our Father and Hail Mary in Latin.
Here's a book for $12.95 with everything in both Latin and English: http://www.dominanostrapublishing.com/id2.html

Also, Christian Warfare has the Way of the Cross in a nice mixture of the two languages.
Petertherock Wrote:Because Latin is the universal language of the Universal Church

Christians in the East might take issue with the above statement.
The stations are meditating on Our Lord's Passion...use whatever way is meaningful to you, granted, but unless you are fluent in written Latin, is this any more than a pious babbling with no real significance to it?

Christina
(02-13-2010, 10:14 AM)introibo Wrote: [ -> ]The stations are meditating on Our Lord's Passion...use whatever way is meaningful to you, granted, but unless you are fluent in written Latin, is this any more than a pious babbling with no real significance to it?

Christina

???      Then of what purpose is it to attend  Latin Mass?  Are the prayers, hymns, and gregorian chant, not to mention the canon little more than "pious babbling"? 
Pages: 1 2