FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Letter to bishop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Long story short - The pastor at my daughter's school is a less than stellar example of the priesthood.  Due to a combination of factors many people in that parish have written to the bishop to complain.  And written to the bishop.  And written.  So after the bishop, who gets written to next?  And then after that?  TIA for any forthcoming answers.
Nothing will  happen, thankfully. Save your ink.

It reminds me of my days in fast food. Disgruntled customers would approach the counter asking to speak to the manager. The manager would appear, hear the complaints, dismiss the customer, and wink at the employees on his way to the back office. This attitude, not totally unreasonable, is based on two points one must keep in mind:

1) The customer's complaints weren't really that important in the big scheme of things, and
2) The customer will leave, the employee will stay.

The same is true with Church management. I presently work, albeit in a limited capacity, for the Catholic Church. As such, I have a different perspective from many Christians on the day to day management of the religion. The amount of complints, and their trivialness, would blow your mind. I've heard everything from complaints over someones use of the word "butt" (as in, "You'll kick yourself in the butt for making that mistake"), to complaints over a priest's accent, to the lack of entertainment value during a preacher's sermon - and these are coming from "traditional Catholics!" On the Novus Ordo side of things I know from personal experience things are even worse.

I don't know what complaints you and your fellow parishioners have, Gris, but having had people go over my head before, I would avoid such a disrespectful path. 

What is it with Catholics tattling on priests these days? In some channels it seems to be almost encouraged. It's one of the reasons I would never join the priesthood in - for lack of a better term - the Novus Ordo. The Church in America has devolved into little more than an insufferable bureaucracy. As any teenager wanting to travel with their youth group, or any retired guy wanting to teach CCD can attest to, the paperwork than one must suffer through is absurd.

Paperwork to be involved in parish activities? Writing letters to priest's superiors? Sound a little familiar? It's the corporatization of American Christianity.

Unless your priest is clearly involved in criminal activity, either work things out with him, or go to another church until he's transferred in six or 12 years.
1) Ignore Credo

2) Catholics have a right according to Canon Law to make their needs known to their pastors.   Because Credo doesn't want to deal with nonsense complaints it doesn't mean that yours is, and you have a right to make your problem known.  Part of pastoral counseling is teaching people what to worry about and what not to.  If your complaint is nonsense, you deserve the chance of correction by a priest or bishop to ease your conscience and know the truth.  So if the bishop has given no answer whatsoever, I would feel no guilt about going over his head.  And mention that you are doing so because he has given no answer - its his job to run the diocese.

3) Fixing the NO is beyond the scope of this forum.  I suggest you go to a TLM, but if you want to fix it, you can go to EWTN for some help.  After the bishop, you will have to write to the appropriate Congregation in Rome, and that depends on what the actual problem is - heresy, liturgical abuse, etc.

ETA:  I unfairly assumed it was a Novus Ordo even though that wasn't stated.  If it's a TLM priest that is the problem, then the same approach applies but we can talk about it more in-depth here.
Nice tone, Quis.

QuisUtDeus Wrote:Because Credo doesn't want to deal with nonsense complaints it doesn't mean that yours is

Did I say Gris' unknown issue was nonsense?

(02-16-2010, 06:26 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]Nice tone, Quis.

I took it upon myself to counter yours - "Nothing will  happen, thankfully"

Some guy has a problem with the priest at his daughter's school and you're happy nothing will happen about it without even knowing what the problem is?  You're doing him - and the Church - a disservice by discouraging him from bringing up problems in the right manner.

Quote:
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Because Credo doesn't want to deal with nonsense complaints it doesn't mean that yours is

Did I say Gris' unknown issue was nonsense?

Did I say you said that?
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Did I say you said that?

Judging from my previous comment I obviously did believe you said such a thing.
1. I'm a girl. 

2. I am very grateful for the thoughtful replies.
(02-16-2010, 09:05 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Did I say you said that?

Judging from my previous comment I obviously did believe you said such a thing.

OK, then you're mistaken.  I didn't say that - re-read the sentence.  I noted the lack of correlation between your dislike for nonsense complaints and the validity of the complaint in question.  Nowhere did I say you called it nonsense.

The reason I noted that lack of correlation is because the OP said they had a complaint and you responded with your experience and dislike of nonsense complaints which seems to me is non sequitur.

Also, Gris, sorry for assuming you were male.
I'm with Quis on this one.  ;D

You can write to the Papal Nuncio, or depending on what the priest is doing, to correct congregation in Rome, it would help if you could give us some more information on what exactly is going on, what the said priest is doing, so we can tell you which congregation to write to.

Pax Christi
Multiple greivances.  Denial of basic doctrine tops the list, though.
But it is NO so I think you all would expect that.
I do make sure she is late and misses Friday mass every week.
My experience with the pastor is very limited and I make sure that it is so. 
And I can't just refuse to take her, or maybe I could, but then that would defy my husband.  But then, of course, there is her soul to think about, so how do you suggest I handle that?
Hush up and go make a sammich?
Pages: 1 2