FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Excellent article on the TLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://insidecatholic.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7688&Itemid=48

I know what many of you think about converts such as Mark Shea and Scott Hahn however I would like to keep insisting on saying that they are NOT the enemy but potential allies and that they CAN be taught.

In case you don't see it the best quote of the entire piece is.

"And by changing back the flag, by taking back our Mass, we are saying: Go back to Hell. Our Church belongs to Christ."
Something a bit on the lighter side of things but still relevant.

A very enjoyable article.

The author's remarks about the importance of "inessentials" were spot on.  Visual cues, symbols, styles etc are "superficial" only in the sense that they lie on the surface of things. It does not follow that they are trivial. 

(I was surprised by his remark that "compared to a Novus Ordo liturgy in the vernacular, and from a purely human point of view, attending Low Mass can be dull."  Last week I managed to get to a TLM for the first time -- a 45-minute Low Mass -- and it was just an oasis of beauty and peace.  My 12-year-old son was dragged along  -- at the Sunday Novus Ordo he's all fidgets and yawns, but here he was rapt.)

(02-18-2010, 04:55 PM)Cambrensis Wrote: [ -> ]A very enjoyable article.

The author's remarks about the importance of "inessentials" were spot on.  Visual cues, symbols, styles etc are "superficial" only in the sense that they lie on the surface of things. It does not follow that they are trivial. 

(I was surprised by his remark that "compared to a Novus Ordo liturgy in the vernacular, and from a purely human point of view, attending Low Mass can be dull."   Last week I managed to get to a TLM for the first time -- a 45-minute Low Mass -- and it was just an oasis of beauty and peace.  My 12-year-old son was dragged along  -- at the Sunday Novus Ordo he's all fidgets and yawns, but here he was rapt.)

I think one appreciates the Low Mass better, after having become familiar with the Sung Mass. 

Imho.
CollegeCatholic Wrote:I think one appreciates the Low Mass better, after having become familiar with the Sung Mass. 

There's a Sung Mass in my area in April.  Can't wait.
I prefer the low Mass myself. It's easier to follow what is going on with the prayers on the Altar. I find it more difficult to concentrate during a sung Mass.

Edited to add: However, I think I would enjoy the sung Mass more if our priest used incense.