FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Source:http://www.zenit.org/article-28398?l=english

Benedict XVI will visit a Lutheran church in Rome for a German-language service in which both he and a Lutheran pastor will give homilies.

The Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity and the Vatican press office today confirmed that the visit -- previously announced -- will take place March 14.

The president of the unity council, Cardinal Walter Kasper, will participate in the visit.

Rome's Lutheran community had invited the Pope in 2008 to mark the 25th anniversary of Pope John Paul II's visit to the church. The Polish Pontiff's 1983 visit commemorated the 550th anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther (1483-1546).

Read the article for more.

I seriously don't understand why on earth he would do this, this is exactly the kind of ecumenism that Archbishop Lefebvre was talking about. I wouldn't even think about setting foot inside a Lutheran "church." This is just sad if you ask me.
"The Polish Pontiff's 1983 visit commemorated the 550th anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther (1483-1546)."

Meaning the arch heretic.  Read some interesting stuff on Luther, not the holy man many make him out to be.
If this event can't be stopped, let's pray that the Holy Father has another one of his unpredictable moments and says something offensive to the Lutherans. If any Christian group should get a good media lashing it is the Lutherans. Their founder was a real honest to God anti-semite and a total unfaithful nut-case. Yet they get a free pass by the media and intelligentsia.
Just read about Luther and see for yourself what kind of a man he really was.
Why? Because Benedict the XVI is a Modernist through and through. He believes in a one world ecumenical kumbaya Church. Sure he likes the NO to have smells and bells but he's still a modernist the synthesis of all heresies.
Do you have any evidence to prove that the Pope is a heretic?
(02-19-2010, 11:41 AM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]Why? Because Benedict the XVI is a Modernist through and through. He believes in a one world ecumenical kumbaya Church. Sure he likes the NO to have smells and bells but he's still a modernist the synthesis of all heresies.

Modernism is a heresy. To accuse the Pope of heresy requires more than your judgement Do not violate Church law if you are a Catholic. If you are not a Catholic, what does it matter to you?
Perhaps he feels this is a good opportunity for true, authentic ecumenism.  Let's wait and see what he says and does before condemning him as a heretic, hm?  This isn't like it was hundreds of years ago, when Protestantism was new.  It's ingrained in the lives and cultures of people now, and the approach to converting them has to reflect that.  Is this the way to do it?  I don't know, but I trust Benedict XVI to know better than I do, and yes, I do trust that he desires their conversion.
(02-19-2010, 12:21 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps he feels this is a good opportunity for true, authentic ecumenism.  Let's wait and see what he says and does before condemning him as a heretic, hm?  This isn't like it was hundreds of years ago, when Protestantism was new.  It's ingrained in the lives and cultures of people now, and the approach to converting them has to reflect that.  Is this the way to do it?  I don't know, but I trust Benedict XVI to know better than I do, and yes, I do trust that he desires their conversion.
True, authentic ecumenism is not possible with a protestant sect as a whole, only with protestants.  They have to be converted one by one because they do not believe in authority.  Even if their leaders convert or their community converts, this has no bearing on the individuals who believe whatever their malformed conscience dictates.  This is why they jump constantly between communities.
To visit a Lutheran church does very little, and if anything it sends the wrong message, particularly if the Pope is involved in an ecumenical prayer meeting.  It says to the average person, "these two things, the Faith and the Lutheran Heresy are compatible and of equal dignity, and may be put on the same level and mixed."
(02-19-2010, 12:26 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: [ -> ]To visit a Lutheran church does very little, and if anything it sends the wrong message, particularly if the Pope is involved in an ecumenical prayer meeting.  It says to the average person, "these two things, the Faith and the Lutheran Heresy are compatible and of equal dignity, and may be put on the same level and mixed."

I'm not so sure about that.  Most people will not even be aware of this.  And of Catholics who are keeping track of Catholic news and are aware of it, either they are well-informed enough to to interpret it that way or they have already decided that that is true and a visit by the pope makes no difference to what they think.  As for the rest, I say it depends on what he says and does.  Is he going to act and speak as if the Church is equal to Lutheranism?  I doubt it.  But imagine a Lutheran seeing him there, hearing him speak, perhaps in a challenging way, and starting to think...  Sometimes just being in the presence of a high-ranking clergyman can be inspiring!  Have you ever met a bishop or cardinal (who acted like one)?  It can send shivers down you spine.  How much more so for the pope?  I have heard many non-Catholics speak about the inspiring presence of the pope.
The problem is he'll be participating in a religious service.
Quote:Benedict XVI will visit a Lutheran church in Rome for a German-language service in which both he and a Lutheran pastor will give homilies.
He's going to be acting like the Church is on the same footing as the Lutheran sect.  That's exactly what that entails.  Equal speaking time for a little "pastor" and the Sovereign Pontiff.  What does that say?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5