FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Greetings from Sweden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello!

I´m a regular family guy from Sweden, married with 3 children.

I haven´t stated my religion in my profile yet, and that is because I´m not formally Catholic. I have for a couple of years now very seriously considered beginning my way to formally become a Catholic. I have been going to Mass in my local Catholic church and been talking to the priest about it. But I haven´t taken the final step yet.

I think here in Sweden it´s a very big step to take. In the most secular country in the world, the general attitude is very hostile towards Catholicism, to say the least. To be a Christian is seen with suspision, and a Catholic surely is considered mad. Besides this almost no one here is Catholic, so socially it means the life of the loner to be a Swedish Catholic.

I´m born and raised in an, if not atheist, at least a very secular environment. It´s thanks to my grandmother and aunt that I am baptised and confirmed. I hadn´t really been thinking a lot about these questions until I met my wife. Since then my religious search has increased each year. The more I learn and participate in the Christian life, the more I am drawn towards Catholicism.

Besides the purely religious I´m also very concerned about the future of Europe, what we might call the cultural war. Digging into these matters, and speaking to people in other parts of Europe, I have learned more and more about Europes Catholic past and heritage. Today I´m convinced that the hope for Europe resides in the Traditional Catholic faith. This is the way I came in contact with Traditional Catholicism, and especially the SSPX.

I hope to learn a great deal about Traditional Catholicism here, and maybe get to exchange ideas with people of the same kind.

Välkommen till tanken!
Thanks!

Do you speak Swedish, or just a phrase?
jag kan talar bara litet Svenska.  bara lite

I was studying it a few years ago, but my priorities got redirected, so I stopped.  Shame... I was actually picking it up.  maybe I need to get back to it.  I liked it better than the Dutch which replaced it - and eventually got dropped, too.
(03-01-2010, 03:18 PM)Engelbrecht Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!

I´m a regular family guy from Sweden, married with 3 children.
Hail!

Quote:I haven´t stated my religion in my profile yet, and that is because I´m not formally Catholic. I have for a couple of years now very seriously considered beginning my way to formally become a Catholic. I have been going to Mass in my local Catholic church and been talking to the priest about it. But I haven´t taken the final step yet.
Pray and hope Smile

Quote:I think here in Sweden it´s a very big step to take. In the most secular country in the world, the general attitude is very hostile towards Catholicism, to say the least. To be a Christian is seen with suspision, and a Catholic surely is considered mad. Besides this almost no one here is Catholic, so socially it means the life of the loner to be a Swedish Catholic.

Lukas 6:22-23 Wrote:Saliga ären I, när människorna för Människosonens skull hata eder och förskjuta och smäda eder och kasta bort edert namn såsom något ont. Glädjens på den dagen, ja, springen upp av fröjd, ty se, eder lön är stor i himmelen. På samma satt gjorde ju deras fäder med profeterna.

Welcome to the forum! I'm learning a bit of Swedish, mainly to tease a Finnish friend of mine. Swedish is pretty easy, but I rarely practice it.

You may have recognised my name...I find it to be a very fitting name for me on this forum (and I use it all over the Internet).

Welcome, again, and watch out for trolls!
Thank you for your welcome!

Lukas 6:22-23 Wrote:Saliga ären I, när människorna för Människosonens skull hata eder och förskjuta och smäda eder och kasta bort edert namn såsom något ont. Glädjens på den dagen, ja, springen upp av fröjd, ty se, eder lön är stor i himmelen. På samma satt gjorde ju deras fäder med profeterna.

Indeed!

(03-01-2010, 03:57 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the forum! I'm learning a bit of Swedish, mainly to tease a Finnish friend of mine. Swedish is pretty easy, but I rarely practice it.

Oh, really? I was always under the impression it was the opposite.

(03-01-2010, 03:57 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome, again, and watch out for trolls!

Well, yes. They are plentiful, and most often under cover. But the more trained the eye gets, the easier you spot them. Wink

Welcome! Smile
(03-01-2010, 05:10 PM)Engelbrecht Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, really? I was always under the impression it was the opposite.
Finnish is really hard, for Indo-European language natives. Swedish is very simple I think, especially for one who speaks a language related to it. I've briefly studied Old Norse as well.

Do you know Finnish?

Quote:Well, yes. They are plentiful, and most often under cover. But the more trained the eye gets, the easier you spot them. Wink
I want to go to Sverige to find a troll and skogsrå.

I do want to get a Swedish book for reading. I normally get a Bible in the language I'm studying (because I know it, so I can study it anywhere without a dictionary as I know what it is supposed to say), but I wanted to get Bröderna Lejonhjärta to read. I can't find a way to get it in the US. Do you know of a way to buy Swedish books overseas?
Hi!
Herr_Mannelig Wrote:Finnish is really hard, for Indo-European language natives. Swedish is very simple I think, especially for one who speaks a language related to it. I've briefly studied Old Norse as well.

Do you know Finnish?

No, not at all. Finnish is totally foreign to me. Maybe you who seems to be educated in languages can tell me the origins of Finnish, because it puzzles me. It seems to be related to Hungarian, but I´m not sure.

Herr_Mannelig Wrote:I want to go to Sverige to find a troll and skogsrå.

I think internet forums are a better place to look for trolls...  Wink

Herr_Mannelig Wrote:I can't find a way to get it in the US. Do you know of a way to buy Swedish books overseas?

No. But if you want it really bad maybe I can be of assistance.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6