FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interesting economic statistic by religion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-03-2010, 10:15 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not surprised by the Hindu numbers.

With the prevalence of Indians in the tech industry, neither am I.
(03-04-2010, 12:08 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2010, 10:15 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not surprised by the Hindu numbers.

With the prevalence of Indians in the tech industry, neither am I.

Seriously.  That's why this is the case.  Hinduism still exists in relatively low numbers in this country compared to the other faiths mentioned.  Hindus are almost exclusively Indian (or Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi ) and the vast majority of these immigrants get visas to come to America because they are exceedingly smart.  Exceedingly smart people get into good universities and become doctors, engineers, software people etc.  I have one Hindu acquaintance and his father is a brain surgeon.
(03-04-2010, 12:12 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously.  That's why this is the case.  Hinduism still exists in relatively low numbers in this country compared to the other faiths mentioned.  Hindus are almost exclusively Indian (or Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi ) and the vast majority of these immigrants get visas to come to America because they are exceedingly smart.  Exceedingly smart people get into good universities and become doctors, engineers, software people etc.  I have one Hindu acquaintance and his father is a brain surgeon.
True.  So the numbers are skewed because this is not a "native religion."

It would be interesting to see the "atheist" numbers.  After all, atheists love to say how much better educated they are than us poor deluded theists...
(03-04-2010, 12:16 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 12:12 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously.  That's why this is the case.  Hinduism still exists in relatively low numbers in this country compared to the other faiths mentioned.  Hindus are almost exclusively Indian (or Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi ) and the vast majority of these immigrants get visas to come to America because they are exceedingly smart.  Exceedingly smart people get into good universities and become doctors, engineers, software people etc.  I have one Hindu acquaintance and his father is a brain surgeon.
True.  So the numbers are skewed because this is not a "native religion."

It would be interesting to see the "atheist" numbers.  After all, atheists love to say how much better educated they are than us poor deluded theists...

I bet they wouldn't be as high as you think.  There are a lot of dumb atheists out there.  Maybe almost as many of them as there are dumb Christians.
(03-04-2010, 11:57 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 07:36 AM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't the buhddists be the poorest?

Shouldn't the Catholics?
no theres no sin to wealth, only the love of wealth for wealths sake.
(03-04-2010, 05:31 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 11:57 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 07:36 AM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't the buhddists be the poorest?

Shouldn't the Catholics?
no theres no sin to wealth, only the love of wealth for wealths sake.

No, not inherently, but the Lord didn't say it is harder for the money lover to gain entrance into heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.  He said the rich man.
(03-04-2010, 06:43 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]No, not inherently, but the Lord didn't say it is harder for the money lover to gain entrance into heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.  He said the rich man.
Yet all things are possible with God.  If the rich man keeps a proper ordo caritas, he is fine.  I've always thought that Christ's issue with wealth was the fact that it can lead to the love of money ("the root of all evil").
(03-04-2010, 08:10 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 06:43 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]No, not inherently, but the Lord didn't say it is harder for the money lover to gain entrance into heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.  He said the rich man.
Yet all things are possible with God.  If the rich man keeps a proper ordo caritas, he is fine.  I've always thought that Christ's issue with wealth was the fact that it can lead to the love of money ("the root of all evil").

Yes it is possible through God for the camel to pass through the eye of a needle but why take the unlikely chance? 

I think the reason Christ said it in the first place was for people to listen. It's just not wise to try and have your cake and eat it too.  Why push it?
(03-04-2010, 08:15 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes it is possible through God for the camel to pass through the eye of a needle but why take the unlikely chance? 

I think the reason Christ said it in the first place was for people to listen. It's just not wise to try and have your cake and eat it too.  Why push it?
So the solution is to stay poor, then?
(03-04-2010, 08:17 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 08:15 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]

So the solution is to stay poor, then?

Well, people often get upset when I say this but I think it's something like celibacy. It's not possible for everyone but if you can you should. Now, if you're married you have to support others so what is "poor" is somewhat relative to your situation. And I'm not talking homeless. There is a definite moderate zone in between rich and poor. I think everyone should strive to at least stay in that moderate zone beneath rich.

With Christ's warnings about being rich, I see no reason to keep or spend a good deal of $.
Pages: 1 2 3