FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interesting economic statistic by religion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
And yet many a very wealthy persons wealth was donated to further the church.
I think that the context is important, Christ was teaching his apostles something about not being a respecter of persons. They were astonished that rich man couldn't go to heaven because they still held a materialist view.
A good example is the character of tevia in fiddler  on the roof who thinks if he was rich man THEN he could study the Torah not realising that he  has been studying gods laws in his life experiences. Blessd are the poor (humble) in spirit
(03-04-2010, 11:36 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]And yet many a very wealthy persons wealth was donated to further the church.

That's the key though.  They gave it away.  Keep what you need for your family to live a moderately comfortable and secure life and give the rest away.  I realize people think I'm an idiot because I'm 22 and don't "get" the real world but I think that might be an advantage sometimes.  I have a few families in my life who live this way and they exude a humility and holiness that I think is due to the way they live their life financially.
(03-05-2010, 12:08 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-04-2010, 11:36 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]And yet many a very wealthy persons wealth was donated to further the church.

That's the key though.  They gave it away.  Keep what you need for your family to live a moderately comfortable and secure life and give the rest away.  I realize people think I'm an idiot because I'm 22 and don't "get" the real world but I think that might be an advantage sometimes.  I have a few families in my life who live this way and they exude a humility and holiness that I think is due to the way they live their life financially.
I don't think your even close to an idiot
age relates to wisdom not intelligence
and I agree that living simply is christian
but I want you to consider that many a royal family retained their wealth and were outstanding members of the church
but this would be a matter of culture and upbringing
many a lottry winner has had thier lives destroyed by the riches
(03-05-2010, 08:17 AM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2010, 12:08 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think your even close to an idiot
age relates to wisdom not intelligence
and I agree that living simply is christian
but I want you to consider that many a royal family retained their wealth and were outstanding members of the church
but this would be a matter of culture and upbringing
many a lottry winner has had thier lives destroyed by the riches

Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions and many of them are due to special circumstances i.e. some royal families are going to be wealthy given their state in the world and it is in the best interest of society at large for them to remain so. 

Speaking of your generic upper middle-class American family is a little different, however.  It seems especially hard for modern families to have a lot of money and not to use it from making their lives easier and easier.
Pages: 1 2 3