FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: best onions for pasta sauce
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(03-09-2010, 08:18 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 08:15 PM)Christopher Wrote: [ -> ]Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?

However much tastes good to you.  Get some good anchovies, though--preferably salted.

Anchovies are gross. You should have your Republic of Texas citizenship revoked for even suggesting such a wretched food-like product.

Chives!!!! FTW!!!!!
Hey, who am I to disagree with this guy?.....

The best sauce is quick & simple.  Me, I like to throw in some green peppers, & also leave in the grease from browning the meatballs.

Straight from the ancestral home...Guidomandri... http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/sicilia...andri.html
(03-09-2010, 08:15 PM)Christopher Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 10:45 AM)Magnificat Wrote: [ -> ]That vidalia onion relish with the mustard seed is wonderful.

For pasta sauce, it's the yellow onions.  You can use white, but why pay more?  What kind of sauce are you going to make? 
Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?

For an average batch of sauce, about a level tablespoon.  And Texican is right, don't leave out the anchovies.
(03-09-2010, 08:22 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Anchovies are gross. You should have your Republic of Texas citizenship revoked for even suggesting such a wretched food-like product.

Like you know anything about food...  :bronxcheer:

Quote:Chives!!!! FTW!!!!!

See?!  I rest my case.
(03-09-2010, 08:26 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 08:22 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Anchovies are gross. You should have your Republic of Texas citizenship revoked for even suggesting such a wretched food-like product.

Like you know anything about food...   :bronxcheer:

Quote:Chives!!!! FTW!!!!!

See?!  I rest my case.

I know everything about food!!! I eat it every day!!!!  How dare you, sir!!!!

Chives are awesome.  Some people call them green onions, but they're really chives.
(03-09-2010, 09:02 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]I know everything about food!!! I eat it every day!!!!  How dare you, sir!!!!

Chives are awesome.  Some people call them green onions, but they're really chives.

Please...  you don't like Chik Fil A.  You don't like Coco Krispies...  your food credibility is ZERO!
(03-09-2010, 10:34 AM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 02:56 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]We use purple onions ourselves.

I like purple onions raw in salads, but I never use them for cooking anymore. They turn a gross mold-blue color after a night in the fridge and look very unappetizing.

They don't turn any color when they're swimming in marinara  :)

...or at least, I can't tell. Chop 'em up!
(03-09-2010, 08:22 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 08:18 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 08:15 PM)Christopher Wrote: [ -> ]Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?

However much tastes good to you.  Get some good anchovies, though--preferably salted.

Anchovies are gross. You should have your Republic of Texas citizenship revoked for even suggesting such a wretched food-like product.

Chives!!!! FTW!!!!!

You're ridiculous. Chives in a marinara?! They're way too subtle, might as well use white chives while you're at it and not even know they're there. Sheesh.
(03-09-2010, 10:58 PM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 09:02 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]I know everything about food!!! I eat it every day!!!!  How dare you, sir!!!!

Please...  you don't like Chik Fil A.  You don't like Coco Krispies...  your food credibility is ZERO!

I second that. Chik Fil A isn't the best thing ever, but it ain't bad at all. And not liking Coco Krispies?

He sounds like a Lutheran: Anything good is therefore bad.
(03-09-2010, 11:56 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 10:34 AM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]I like purple onions raw in salads, but I never use them for cooking anymore. They turn a gross mold-blue color after a night in the fridge and look very unappetizing.

They don't turn any color when they're swimming in marinara  :)

...or at least, I can't tell. Chop 'em up!

You'd think they'd look...  well, red.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5