FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: best onions for pasta sauce
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(03-09-2010, 11:59 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]I second that. Chik Fil A isn't the best thing ever, but it ain't bad at all. And not liking Coco Krispies?

He sounds like a Lutheran: Anything good is therefore bad.

With a touch of Calvinism, and just a dash of JW-ism.
Chives speak a language of subtlety, something you philistines know nothing about.  Bah.  :bronxcheer:
(03-10-2010, 01:01 AM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Chives speak a language of subtlety, something you philistines know nothing about.  Bah.  :bronxcheer:

Yeah, in a garlicky, tomatoey marinara. Good luck with that.
Chives are wanna-be leeks with an inferiority complex.  
Once your palate has been destroyed by years of Chik Fil A and Coco Krispies, one wouldn't expect the understatedness of a chive to be appreciated.  You people disgust me.  :bronxcheer:
Chives, huh?

[Image: Kershaw-Chive-Pink-1600PINK-600x600.gif]

From the product description:  Okay ladies, and maybe even some girly men out there, this knife is for you. This Kershaw Chive,
(03-10-2010, 01:31 AM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Once your palate has been destroyed by years of Chik Fil A and Coco Krispies, one wouldn't expect the understatedness of a chive to be appreciated.  You people disgust me.  :bronxcheer:

I disagree.  The Coco Krispie, properly appreciated, gives one an appropriate appreciation of chives since it cleanses the palette.  It also allows one to visualize the appropriate effects of marination.  So, in essence, the Coco Krispie is the building block of the Chateau of culinary attainment.

Yellow noxious onions are for when you want a kick-yo-ass onion flavor such as in french onion soup (properly made) or to make stock or in red sauces or chilis.  White onions are for when you want a clean onion flavor such as on a Chicago hot dog or with liver and onions or perhaps on a burrito.  Vidalias are best caramelized.

The delicate chive is best tasted with something understated.  Such as mushrooms sauteed in butter, or on a baked potato.  There the subtle flavor of the chive rises gently above the soft tastes of the fungus and the spud.  A place where onion of any kind would be overstated.  Chives need to be delicately cooked, not man-handled or fried or such as one would do with onions.

A few bowls of Coco Krispies, or even better, some Coco Krispie Treats, will give you a better perspective, Doc.

(03-09-2010, 08:22 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]The best sauce is quick & simple.  Me, I like to throw in some green peppers, & also leave in the grease from browning the meatballs.

The best sauce is pork neckbone sauce.  Oh man....
Yeah, yellow onions in red sauce. Best.

Chives are too subtle, they're wasted in red sauce. The delicacy would be all but lost in the tomatoes. Save chives for a white sauce or a butter and lemon sauce.
(03-10-2010, 12:07 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 11:56 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2010, 10:34 AM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]I like purple onions raw in salads, but I never use them for cooking anymore. They turn a gross mold-blue color after a night in the fridge and look very unappetizing.

They don't turn any color when they're swimming in marinara  :)

...or at least, I can't tell. Chop 'em up!

You'd think they'd look...  well, red.

No, I'd think they'd turn the sauce a funny color. Violet, for instance. You should see what they do to yellow squash -- bleeeeech.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5