FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Baronius or TAN/St. Benedict Douay-Rheims
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

My dad likes the Douay-Rheims Bible and does not have one, so I want to buy him one. I see on Amazon that there is a leather-bound version available from Baronius Press for $55 and a leather-bound version from TAN/St. Benedict Press for $35.

I believe both have been digitally re-typeset for higher quality print (is this correct). I also know the TAN/St. Benedict version has the words of our Blessed Lord in red ink.

Can anyone here comment on further differences? Which one is higher quality, which is easier to read, and which will last longest?

Thanks,
jboss
I have an older TAN one, and it is functional as a Bible.  I wouldn't call it the highest of quality, but for $35 leather-bound it is good enough.

Mine doesn't have the words in red ink, so maybe that's a newer edition.
Two years ago I bought a Baronius Press DR Bible. The leather cover is very good but I have a real complaint about the "gold leaf" lettering on the cover. It has been flaking off since I got it. Mostly all gone now. The inside is really nice though. I have no knowledge of the TAN/Benedict version.
(03-21-2010, 07:33 PM)trident59 Wrote: [ -> ]Two years ago I bought a Baronius Press DR Bible. The leather cover is very good but I have a real complaint about the "gold leaf" lettering on the cover. It has been flaking off since I got it. Mostly all gone now.

That tends to happen when you actually use the Bible instead of having it on the shelf.  Good work! :)
A few months ago, I bought the TAN/St. Benedict Press version of the Douay Rheims.  It's considered [i]compact[i] but it's not too small like some of those are.  The leather cover is buttery and beautiful.  And the pages and typeface are just right.  I paid $40 or so at the SSPX chapel I go to periodically and I'm thrilled with it.  A few years ago I bought the Baronius [i]compact [i] and it was difficult to read - too small.  Baronius has lost my trust a little when they came out with their new 1962 missal, complete with the Luminous mysteries.  Get the TAN/St. Benedict version - it's lovely.
We have a Baronius Press edition and it has held up well. The flaking is a bit of an issue, but the overall binding is solid.
Thanks everyone for the input. It seems that they're mostly the same except that the Baronius version costs $20 more.

Elizabeth, you mentioned:
(03-22-2010, 09:58 AM)elizabeth Wrote: [ -> ]Baronius has lost my trust a little when they came out with their new 1962 missal, complete with the Luminous mysteries.

One of my favorite things about Baronius is that they have tried to unite tradition with the continual growth of God's Holy Chuch. His Holiness Pope John Paul II never mandated that people pray the Luminous mysteries. These were merely an optional suggestion of the legitimate successor of Peter. Popes even have the authority to pronounce dogmas that we must believe. Also, centuries ago the 15th mystery was the Last Judgement, but this was changed. If you have not read Rosarium Virginis Mariae by Pope John Paul II, I recommend it. He said his favorite prayer was the Holy Rosary and declared that year "The Year of the Rosary", encouraging all to pray the Rosary.

jboss
If you can afford the $55, I strongly recommend the St. Benedict Genuine Leather edition. I have one and it is fantastic. I can't describe how wonderful it feels in your hands; you literally don't want to put it down.

http://www.saintbenedictpress.com/Cathol...m?ID=15492
(03-22-2010, 11:50 AM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]If you can afford the $55, I strongly recommend the St. Benedict Genuine Leather edition.

That's the one I'm considering. It's only $35 from Amazon. I am trying to understand why it's selling for $20 less than the Baronius version. What are the differences between them?

(03-22-2010, 12:25 PM)jboss Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-22-2010, 11:50 AM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]If you can afford the $55, I strongly recommend the St. Benedict Genuine Leather edition.

That's the one I'm considering. It's only $35 from Amazon. I am trying to understand why it's selling for $20 less than the Baronius version. What are the differences between them?

I should have clicked on your links...sorry about that. I wonder how Amazon can sell the Bible cheaper than the actual company that makes it?

Anyways, I actually have both Bibles. The Baronius one has stayed on the shelf since I got the St. Benedict one, mainly because the St. Benedict one feels much better and seems to be more durable. The St. Benedict version has Jesus' words highlighted in red, the Baronius does not.