FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Spiritual Tradition / Religious Orders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm curious what type of spiritual tradition people follow. I tried to think of the major ones, forgive me if I forgot something. I'm interested in knowing what your primary spiritual traditions is, most of us follow several through particular devotions, but aren't really following that spiritual tradition, I know that applies to me. I'm just curious what other people's game plan is in this reguard, I look forward to what you all have to say. If you are a member of an order (First Order, Second Order, Third Order, Confraternity, ect) please share. I think many are intrested in this, but are discouraged for one reason or another. Thanks for sharing!
I follow a very Franciscan spiritual path. I strive to follow an authentic Franciscan path not the eco-cult that some 'franciscan' groups follow. I'm currently in formation with the Confraternity of Penitents (http://penitents.org). I was attracted to this group in particular because they follow the original Rule of 1221 not the modern rule of the Secular Franciscan Order.

As a member of the Brown Scapular and the Archconfraternity of the Holy Rosary I follow a Dominican tradition in some ways, but don't know much about what Dominican spirituality really is. I just know that I love the rosary and need all the indulgences I can muster through the scapular and rosary.

I like the monastic traditions of the Benedictine Order and like the idea of sanctifying our everyday life that's taught through the Opus Dei tradition. I think it's important to try and focus my spiritual life in order to stay on track so I try and just follow my chosen Franciscan path faithfully instead of getting pulled this way and that trying to learn about the myriad of traditions in the church. I figure that when I learn everything I can from that Franciscan tradition and the hundreds of Franciscan saints, I'll move on to a diffrent Order (by my calculations that'll take a few hundred years, so yeah).
Off the beaten path- but do you know of any sites that explicate the difference between the different traditions?
I think I follow a mix of Dominican and Carmelite.
(03-21-2010, 08:00 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: [ -> ]Off the beaten path- but do you know of any sites that explicate the difference between the different traditions?
not specifically, if you find one do share it
I have this link, I don't think it covers all the orders Credo mentioned:

http://religious-vocation.com/difference...rders.html
(03-21-2010, 08:10 PM)kimbaichan Wrote: [ -> ]http://religious-vocation.com/difference...rders.html
nice
Cistercian. particularity the writings of  the mellifluous st Bernard of Clairvaux. more precisely St Bernards articulation of the new vocation which fused the psalter and the sword. Which is evident in such works as De Laude novae militae (in praise of the new knighthood) and the Rule for he wrote for the poor knights of Christ. He defined his age, choose a pope, defied an emperor and really i find him to be a stupendous badass!  i chose other in the above poll even though the Cistercians where reform of the Benedictine charasim. call me picky
a nice wee quote from the saint who declared love superior to knowledge

"it is a duty of a religious man to weep. cities must be to him a prison, solitude a paradise"
(03-21-2010, 08:38 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]"it is a duty of a religious man to weep. cities must be to him a prison, solitude a paradise"
I like that, thanks for sharing!
Ralph have you looked at the traditional Fransiscan third orders? wondering around.
and my pleasure, i love sharin st Bernard.

Pages: 1 2