FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Two Questions about Holy Saturday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. Doesn't Lent traditionally end with the ringing of the Angelus at noon on Holy Saturday?

2. Is it customary or required to attend both the Holy Saturday Vigil and Easter Sunday Masses?  Or is it either/or?

Thanks in advance.
1. In the pre Pius XII days, the Easter Vigil was at noon, so that was the official end of Lent. When the Easter Vigil was transferred to evening in the fifties, some say that Lent lasts until Holy Saturday evening. However, several Trads I know still hold to the 12 noon end of Lent rule.

2. The Vigil will fulfill your Easter Sunday obligation(as long as it is celebrated in the evening; some independent chapels still do it in the afternoon on Holy Saturday, so that would not fulfill the obligation).
1)  Lent ends on Maudy  Thursday. The Holy Sacrifice of The Mass is not celebrated for the next two days.  We mourn the death of our Saviour.
2)  I assume you mean the Vigil Mass for Easter.  You are not required to attend more than one Mass, but I would suggest, if you are able, to stay in the Church as much as possible during these Holy Days.
On a humorous note one had to wait for noon on Holy Saturday to have a hot cross bun. What a treat for a kid mm mm good.
tim
I thought Lent ended with the Gloria of Maundy Thursday's Mass, actually.
I thought that was a more recent thing, cause I don't remember it. cheers
tim
(03-28-2010, 03:31 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Lent ended with the Gloria of Maundy Thursday's Mass, actually.

my spiritual director told me that too
(03-28-2010, 04:39 PM)ketchum Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2010, 03:31 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]I thought Lent ended with the Gloria of Maundy Thursday's Mass, actually.

my spiritual director told me that too

My pastor told me the same. The Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday evening begins the Paschal Triduum, or the Three Great Days.
Well, it seems to me Lent extends to the Easter Vigil because under the 1962 rules fasting and abstinence were still required until then.  If you count 40 days, skipping Sundays, from Feb 17 (Ash Wednesday) you end up on April 3rd - Holy Saturday.

Maybe they changed it for the Novus Ordo calendar?

IMHO a most important question is how can we fulfill our First Saturdays for April when there is no Holy Mass?
Pages: 1 2