FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope to enforce 'Ad Orientem' worship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Pope to enforce 'Ad Orientem' worship

By Ronald Snickerbottom

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - In the midst of the abuse crisis sweeping across Europe in recent days, and in the face of a vast number of criticisms, Pope Benedict XVI made a surprise announcement in his homily during the Chrism Mass in St. Peter's Basilica Thursday. Tucked into his 20-minute homily, the Pope mentioned he will be enforcing, in all Roman churches, the use of 'Ad Orientem' worship, effectively wiped out of Catholic services in the wake of Vatican II. A Latin phrase meaning "to the East" it generally refers to the priest celebrating Mass with his back facing the congregation. This development holds significance as 'Ad Orientem' worship is rarely practiced in the Catholic Church today, and only seen among those who use the 1962 missal of the Mass. Vatican insider John Allen told Reuters this act has a lot of significance as it is the practice used by the traditionalist group the SSPX, and the Pope may be using it as a subtle means of reaching out to them in the midst of their on-going talks.

The announcement comes only a day after a top Vatican cardinal, Cardinal Levada, attacked the New York Times, calling their editorial on the sexual abuse crisis, "deficient by any reasonable standards of fairness". There have been over 150 reported cases of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in Europe these past few weeks bringing an onslaught of criticism against the Catholic Church, with some calling for the Pope to resign.
(04-01-2010, 07:49 AM)LausTibiChriste Wrote: [ -> ]By Ronald Snickerbottom

I smell an April Fool's joke but I really hope I'm wrong.

the article was written by 'ronald snickerbottom' and the calendar says 1 april…  ::)
'ronald snickerbottom'  ?

That is some real dumb sheeeeet name there.
I am a bit pissed off by  this joke.
Of course I fell for it and got all excited...
Next time take your jokes somewhere else. The worship of God and all things related is not the proper venue for jokes.
Grow up!
wAAA
:liar:      :(
The only thing funnier than the joke, are the people who actually believed it.  :laughing:
I could tell it was fake because it was from Reuters and there was no anti-Catholic bias in it.
(04-01-2010, 11:02 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am a bit pissed off by  this joke.
Of course I fell for it and got all excited...
Next time take your jokes somewhere else. The worship of God and all things related is not the proper venue for jokes.
Grow up!

Oh c'mon.  I think you're just irritated that you were had.  Which is the whole point of April Fools Day - to pull one over on another in friendly jest.

There are plenty of time-honored Catholic jokes that have to do with worship like the one about the Jesuit who wants to smoke while he prays the Office.
Pages: 1 2 3